Wood stove "huffing"

We were at the cabin recently. The stove seemed not to be working right. Every once in a while, it would make a huffing noise, which actually sounded like gases igniting in the stove pipe. The pipe is 8" or so, and runs 12 feet vertical over the stove, does a 45, then up to the stack where it does another 45, then up 4-6 feet to the cap. It is a MAJOR job to take this apart, and clean, as the access from the top is like standing on the peak of a very steep roof. One would have to be very experienced, as well as having climbing and tie off gear.

That would be the simplest way, tho, to climb on top, remove the cap, and run a cleaner down through it. We may, though, set up two sets of scaffolding, and do it from the inside, as we are too old to climb. Maybe even bite the bullet, and hire it out.

Any info on what would cause the "huffing", or ideas on cleaning would be appreciated. Any way it goes, it's going to be a pretty good sized dirty job.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've had that when the stack needed cleaning. Sorry, no short cuts.

I'd consider revising the pipe inside the house to allow for easier cleaning. My stove has an 18' section to an elbow that easily comes out and most of my creosote was just above the thimble. If you get most creosote in one place, maybe a tee can be out in for access.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you can't, or as in my case, won't, climb up to clean the chimney, hire a chimney sweep. IME, they aren't all that expensive.

Reply to
krw