Wood Staining Question

Staining the wine-glass rack came out looking so nice SWMBO asked if I could stain a kitchen implement holder that's bamboo (*)

(*) Apparently by stacking layers of bamboo, then turning in a lathe.

It has some kind of clear-coat... shellac/polyurethane/who-knows ?

Anyone lurking here that would know how I could best remove the clear-coat?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

You'll probably need an abrasive like sandpaper. When yhou stain it, the end result will be different than the rack you made. You may put a lot of work into this and not like the end result. I have no idea how well bamboo takes stain. Try applying some stain on the bottom first to see h ow you like it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We'll see. SWMBO has already defined it as "disposable", if it doesn't work out... making it easier on me >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

I would just use paint stripper on it.

Use a paint stripper that uses methylene chloride as it's active ingredient.

Reply to
nestork

Since we do not know what the coating is, only experimentation with various solvents can tell you what will remove it.

It is unusual for bamboo to be stained, because its silica-rich outer skin is so impermeable.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Thanks! Robert Macy over on S.E.D said that your post was the one to watch for ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson