Wood Siding Repair: Anything As Effective As Bondo ?

Epoxy is no easier than bondo, and more expensive, but will give a more permanent patch. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Hello:

Have a damaged area, (really a gouge) in some T1-11 house siding that I'd like to repair. Perhaps 4" x 4" by a fair amount deep. Not sure what caused it as we just moved in; possibly a squirrel, or woodpeckers, or... ?

It was suggested that I try Bondo. Good idea, but frankly I hate working with the stuff.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any other patching material I can try that would be as effective and permanent as a Bondo patch, but a lot easier to work with ?

Are there any "permanent" type of caulks ? Paintable RTV ? etc. ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

There are several epoxy fill products that are quite a bit more expensive but for such a small volume would not be prohibitively so. Their advantage is longer open time.

Basically for a smooth, hard patch they're the only real type of permanent choices afaik. Any of the other alternatives such as the "hardrock" fillers aren't nearly as permanent.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Half my 130 year old house is held together with this stuff :

Michael Nickolas

Hi,

Thanks for help; appreciate it.

Might you suggest any specific brands and products ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I've used PC Woody products pretty extensively on the barn for siding and other repairs...very similar to Abatron but less expensive. There are a multitude of them and for such a small area you can probably find something in the local home center. I don't recall a specific brand name, but there are several varieties of the "two cardboard tubes" mixes that should work just fine. In all the various ones I've used over the years, I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between any of them in actual performance for anything other than a truly structural member that needs the strength and a surface patch doesn't fall into that category.

Here's a link to the PC Products info for PC Woody product...

Duane Bozarth

If you are going to use epoxy, then check out a product similar to this:

For a hole that size, you need the epoxy to be in a paste consistency, or it will just run out. But automotive bondo, I would not use, because with the weather and the expansion and contraction of the wood, it will most likely fall out.

Here is what we used for a larger project on 30 year old cedar siding:

But mind you, the above product is a bit runny, so if the hole is deep, make a plug the size of the diameter of the hole and screw it in. Then seal over top and around it with the Lepage product. Or do the same with the epoxy paste.

I have used bondo on wood before where the damage was just nicks and scrapes and it worked well after it was primed and painted and sealed. But on a bigger hole, I think it will fall out eventually.

Reply to
The Kearsley Curse

Short setup time primarily is an annoyance for wood patching...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I don't see why it should be any more prone than the epoxies--it'll stay in thin surface patches on metal almost indefinitely which is much less rough a surface than the wood surface. I've had no problems on the barn patches although it hasn't been a long period of time so far.

Interestingly enough, Minwax sells a "two-part wood filler" that turns out to be simply Bondo based on a comparison of the MSDS (at 3x the price).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What's hard about Bondo? Sands easy...

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH