Wood screw drills

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.
All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or sometimes just the countersink.
Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?
Smitty Two wrote:

Yeah, my junk drawer :)
Sears used to sell them in the 60s and 70s. They also sold a collar device for them to adjust depth of countersink. They worked OK for a while - a short while - but soon dulled. The gizmo to set countersink depth slipped too. IOW, the new ones are much better.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Smitty 2 I also have looked for the same type, they are the best type. Over the years I have broken some of mine. Hope some one knows where to find them. WW
On 8/30/2011 1:35 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

I've a pretty nicely made set from General but they no longer seem to be in the product list... :(
First set I found was...
<http://www.blackanddecker.com/accessories/U1588.aspx
These are not as nice--it appears they're the style made by forming a flat piece of stock for the shank instead of a shank...
On 8/30/2011 8:33 AM, dpb wrote: ...

The set I have is product S-10; unfortunately, a search for new old stock and eBay didn't uncover any either place..

That is "instead of a solid round shank" that the General set had.
The were well enough made that can rehone an edge and they worked quite satisfactorily for the countersink; agreed one would not want to use them to drill the pilot hole in very hard wood; they have no chip ejection mechanism and are not a drill bit (nor intended to be).
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:35:33 -0700, Smitty Two

I has a set long ago. Think they were Black and Decker. Didn't work well in hard wood. Tore it up. I wouldn't call them "spade," just flat with shoulders. I looked a bit, but can't find them on the net. There's probably good reason they don't sell them any more. Twist drill with cutter works better.
--Vic

Do you still use screws with shanks larger than the threads? I had a set of those *many* years ago. They're junk compared to today's Snappy countersinking drill bits.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005538/16584/Snappy-5-Piece-Countersinking-Drill-Set.aspx
They're available with either tapered or straight bits.

Evidently you don't look.
It's been a long time since I checked, but back in the years when I was active in boating (building & living aboard) I used to get tapered bits with adjustable countersinks from our local marine stores. It might be worthwhile to check some of the online marine supply stores to see if they're still available, or if you have a large marine store locally, give them a call to see if they carry them. Lee

As a follow-up to my first reply, a quick check of sources for tapered drill bits produced the following: http://admiralshipsupply.com/cart/21/65 / http://admiralshipsupply.com/cart/21/prod_158 / http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=281&title=Taper+Drill+Bit+Uses [links to several different sizes and types of tapered bits and sets] http://www.mcfeelys.com/tapered-drill-bits
These might have what you're looking for. Lee --------------------------