Wood Rot in Sub-Floor

Hi- We are replacing our ceramic tile floor and sub floor and have discovered that there is some minor wood rot on the tops of some of the beams (about 1/2 inch deep). Is it possible to repair this damage and would that pass an inspection in the future? If so, what are the best ways to repair this type of rot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Just sister some new ones in. Do you know what I mean when I say sister?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Good advice above!
I once removed a mudset on mortar bed ceramic and had the top 1.5" missing due to the mud layer. I single sistered each joist with one approved for the span (the old ones were oversized to allow for the top trimming). Passed more than one home inspection with flying colors.

I think that you mean just add another 2x4 on the side of the rooted boards, right? Do we need to treat the rot?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

exposed. If you're concerned take a chisel and remove it.
Yes that's what I mean when I say sister. You might want to screw the 2 X in instead of nailing. Nailing can cause cracks or drywall nails to show up on other side.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Won't say that using screws is necessary but you might want to add not to use drywall screws. Very brittle, thin necks and can snap over time with natural movement. Can also snap with torque on install.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

bzzt. wrong. I've 'never' seen a 2X4 floor joist.
I think that you mean just add another 2x4 on the side of the rooted boards, right? Do we need to treat the rot?
If you do not understand loads and beams, sister them with the same size as the existing member.
If the joists are 2x8 use a 2x8. You may waste a little wood but you can't go wrong doing it this way.
--
Colbyt