Wood Radiator Covers

Greetings.. I'm making some radiator covers out of 1/2" pine boards. Plan is to rout 1 inch vents in the top and have an open front covered with decorative perforated sheet metal. The question is: Should I do anything to the wood to protect it from the heat generated by the radiators? I was thinking of lining the whole inside with with thick tin foil to reflect heat and force is out the top vents.
Stupid idea?
It is not necessary ive seen alot of 80-100 yr old wood covers that are never affected by the heat. But you will reduce heat output of a radiator with a cover.

Putting foil in the back may help, bit in the front will do little or nothing. If you have a very open front, you will get plenty of heat out. I've been in many houses wit wood covers and no slots in top, just a grill in the front.