Wood preservative for in-ground & near in-ground use

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of preventing rot on fence posts.
I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry *any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.
So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?
Thanks

Teak, redwood, cedar ...
--
Best regards
Han

preservative...
er:

Home Depot apparently sells it in some parts of the country, but not online:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/copper-green-1-gallon-wood-preservative-97843.html
For products like that I've searched online and eventually found someone selling it somewhere that would ship it to me. That might not be legal, but some places either don't know the law or don't care. It probably means that it's been banned in certain parts of the country. If you can find it, you probably want to get enough to last you for a long time, because usually the next phase is it's gone all together.

nder:
concrete or steel fence posts, wood just rots sooner or later, and attracks nasties like termites
:

Teak, possible. Redwood and cedar will rot, just takes a bit longer. The only wood I know of that doesn't rot at any appreciable rate is Black Locust. Posts made of that are still firm 30 years later. The "treated" 4x4s you get at the lumber store are good for maybe 10 years max.
Harry K

preservative.

Check with stores most likely to carry it, farm supply store, Grange, fertilyzer plants, garden centers, etc. Let your fingers do the walking.
Harry K
blueman wrote:

Tar coating?
blueman wrote:

Cuprinol No. 10 Green Wood Preservative
One source... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid 0
--

dadiOH
____________________________

"This item is no longer available." stated on the website your link refers to.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Guess he can't get it there then. Maybe somewhere else? If not, Jasco Termin-8 is about the same and seems to be available. http://www.discountpaint.net/store/catalog/JASCO-00901-GREEN-TERMIN-8-WOOD-PRESERVATIVE-SIZE1-GALLON-p-7115.html
Overpriced though...
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check with your electric utility company. Ask what they put on base of wood power poles. WW

They have plastic pole covers that slip over steel pipe concreted in ground.
outwardly it cal look like wood but it should l;ast a lifetime

I ended up finding the following at a local lumber yard: Zinsser Woodlife CopperCoat Wood Preservative. It seems to smell and look like the old stuff I remember. I paid about $18 for a gallon.
Hopefully, it works..
On Sun, 08 May 2011 01:35:47 -0400, blueman wrote:

waste sump oil, blended with something to dilute it so that it penetrates the wood a little better (gas, diesel, kerosene etc.).
On Sun, 08 May 2011 01:35:47 -0400, blueman wrote:

waste sump oil, blended with something to dilute it so that it penetrates the wood a little better (gas, diesel, kerosene etc.).

Replace your wooden fence posts with posts which have been treated with glass called TimberSIL... Wood can't rot when it is coated with glass down to a molecular level...
http://www.timbersilwood.com /
~~ Evan
replying to Evan, eskiejake wrote:

I realize this is now 2014 but it appears your link is yet another failed eco-friendly solution introduced with minimal or no testing. Of course it becomes all the rage according to the rich and famous, such as Brad Pitt. Not so much for mainstream Americans who have to consider cost.

Probably creosote its very toxic and illegal. it did preserve railroad ties well.
railroads now use concrete ties with the metal tie bars molded in