Wood Powered Car ?

Page 4 of 4

Coal CAN be burned cleanly, its just a matter of good quality coal and lots of money for clean burn technology...
coal

powered
and
True, but I think that clean burning coal electricity plants is about as rare as rocking horse manure.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 04:43:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:
:Has anyone ever seen any plans for a wood powered car? :I know they have been made. With the gas going up and up and up, I am :ready to start building one. I got plenty of dead trees, thus wood on :my farm. If you have some plans, please post what you got, and if :there is a way to get them in digital format. Or, is there a website? :All that Google is offering are useless blogs (as usual, that seems to :be about the only thing google finds lately). : :Thanks : :Mark
I was reading my dad's autobiography last night and there was a passage where he recounted passage by ship from the west coast of USA to CBI (China, Burma, India theater) from September to December, 1943. They stopped in Hobart, Tasmania and all the cars ran on charcoal. To quote him:
"What cars we saw were right hand drives and were powered by charcoal. Gasoline, of course, was largely unobtainable, and so every trunk was converted to charcoal burning engines. The cars were slow, and I believe low on power, but (for wartime) it sufficed for transportation."

passage
quote
charcoal.
was
believe
That's interesting. Someone else posted yesterday that the Stanley Steamer used a petrochemical based fuel and I replied that the one I had seen certainly had a boiler like an old fashioned boat. If your Dad saw these vehciles in Australia during WWII then it would sort of support what I wrote about the Steamer. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they used this form of furel then I know my own father talked of the problems of fuela nd he was afarmer so must have had soem sort of ration. Australia had no oil fileds until (IIRC) the 1960s, so importing ti with the Japanes subs active would have been a drama.
wrote in message

there was a

of USA to CBI

December, 1943. They