Wood Powered Car ?

Page 3 of 4
Farm1 wrote:

Same here, but that doesn't stop homeowners (and renters) from doing it. That does void the insurance in many cases.
Harry K
Farm1 wrote:

No. I am in the middle of farm country and can't name anyone except myself who does. Now there are a _lot_ of town folk that do.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I suspect the look on his face was because he couldn't believe someone would make such a clueless remark.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Hey he bragged about saving so much money, thats great.
But his dollars per hours of work were a loser, sad but true I just pointed it out.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And you somehow thought that he wasn't aware of that? I'll sstick with my opinion of why that look was on his face.
Harry K

LOL. Your comment is spot on. How clueless is it to write about pollution from fires when all this person appears to want to do is to export the pollution caused by his/her heating into someone else's backyard and to inflict it on the people who live where the electricity plants are located.
Farm1 wrote:

Cheap wood stoves are dirty. The most efficient wood stoves are quite clean. The kacheloven, properly constructed and used, will burn so hot that you can safely burn softwood with no creosote buildup and no significant pollution. Not many people will pay for them, though.
Mike

Cheapness isn't really an issue. Anyone can burn a stove dirtily if they set out to do so but in my country wood burning stoves must reach certain standards and if they can't reach the standard for emissions then they aren't sold.
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 04:43:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I considerd converting some farm amchinery a while ago.
Read about it on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Producer_gas
Buy old plans on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Run-Gasoline-Engine-Generator-Tractor-Foundry-Truck_W0QQitemZ130012059406QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gas-ENGINES-Producer-GAS-Plants-MAKE-YOUR-OWN-GAS_W0QQitemZ260015315241QQcmdZViewItem
Mother Earth News wood smoke truck Description: http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1981_May_June/Mother_s_Woodburning_Truck
Plans from FEMA -1989:
http://www.colostate.edu/programs/cowood/New_site/Useful_links/Links/Wood-gasifiers.htm
Reasonable plans for a handy person:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/woodgas.pdf
For the tool challenged:
Parts, hardware, and complete burner units: Cloidal Cam Engineering Inc., POB 244, Prior Lake, MN 55377 ESMCO, 5555 Boon Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55428
Let me know if the sites are gone. I have most of this stuff archived if I can find it.
Hope this helps
-RT
RT wrote:

RT - Thank you for a STRAIGHT ANSWER I appreciate the lack of nay-saying and BS
Don
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

[....]
http://dwb.newsobserver.com/24hour/business/story/3345424p-12318274c.html

Do a google on the Stanley Steamer. I've only ever seen one of these in the flesh but it was magnificent - a huge sports model.
Oh hell, I did one for you: http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/road/theobald/index.html http://www.clubvw.org.au/ssssssteam_heat.htm http://www.stanleysteamers.com / http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com / http://www.bruceatkinson.com/stanley/climbtotheclouds-stanleysteamer.h tml http://www.prewarcar.com/links_related.asp?make=Stanley%20Steamer
Imagine the pollution issues if a bunch started using wood for fuel? Let alone fires om garages and such with wood you cant just throw a switch....
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:17:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You don't have to imagine it. Check out the situation in the Denver area.

Per Ann:

Even where I live - suburbia - all it takes is one person dumping trash into their fireplace and it gets *really* bad...
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

We had a neighbor once who stuck an entire kitchen chair (aluminum tubes with seat and back of vinyl-covered who-knows-what) into his burn barrel.
--
"Dialogue is impossible without some shared sense of reality...
What\'s lacking isn\'t just truth, it\'s the entire social

Are you serious?
Imagine the pollution if people started using electricity from coal powered electricity plants or the spent uranium form nuclear powered plants.
In article

The Denver, CO area has some restrictions on stoves. Info here: http://tinyurl.com/oprgy
Dean
-
wrote in message

In Quebec, most houses are electrically heated. But then, they're probably the biggest Hydro-electric producers in the continent.
On the other hand, when they had an ice storm in the middle of winter of few years back, some people were left in the cold until spring.