Wood Powered Car ?

Page 1 of 4
Has anyone ever seen any plans for a wood powered car? I know they have been made. With the gas going up and up and up, I am ready to start building one. I got plenty of dead trees, thus wood on my farm. If you have some plans, please post what you got, and if there is a way to get them in digital format. Or, is there a website? All that Google is offering are useless blogs (as usual, that seems to be about the only thing google finds lately).
Thanks
Mark

Google "Stanley Steamer". :-)
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

The Stanley Steamer was powered by petroleum-based fuel.

Not the one I saw. It was powered by solid fuel and had a boiler like an ancient marine vessel. Mind you Australia has had some exceptionally rare cars come in from around the world because we had no manufacturing base for a long time. It used to be a favourite collecting place for rich American car enthusiasts.
It was done in Europe in ww2, google it, you are looking for the energy-gas in the smoke.

Your choices: 1. Steam drive from a wood-burning furnace. 2. Alcohol liquid fuel from wood sources on the farm. 3. Gaseous fuel from a wood reactor (stored in a gasbag on the vehicle roof, as used in wartime France.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

The wood gasification setups during the war were 'useable' but the vehicles had very low power. It would get you there but in its own sweet time. M.E.N. had a series of articles on how to build one back in the 60s before they went yuppie. You might try googling them.
Harry K

M.E.N. What's that ???????????

Mother Earth News
If your going to consider distilates of wood... whatever.
Then why not just tow a low pressure vessel filled with steer manure and a little water.
The methane that is produced should get your car going a little ways down the road.

Just get an old golf cart. If you can plug it in at work the gas is free. It will go as fast as anything I have seen here.
Just great. A car that actually smells worse than diesel.
Would you have to use horse manure in your Mustang.
In 10 years, do you envision everyone driving a Kia Fart?
Shiver wrote:

In 100 years from now I envision your great grandchildren having nothing to drive.
Shiver wrote:

100 years from now there will quite likely be nuclear plants all over the country producing electricity which will be used to make Hydrogen. It could be the fuel of choice. I expect it will be relatively more expensive than what we pay for gasoline but still will most likely be the cheapest fuel available.

Look at issues of Popular Mechanics/Popular Science from the 1950's. By now, ( the year 2000 ) we're all supposed to be flying personal sized atomic powered airplanes.
<rj>
Rich256 wrote:

Ahhh, the hydrogen myth again. 100 years from now, rechargable battery technology will be so much better than today that no one will waste their money on something as silly as hydrogen. Battery electric cars have already been on the streets available for ordinary consumers (albeit in small numbers - from the old Baker Electric to the EV1). How many hydrogen cars have been sold in the last 100 years?
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I guess we won't be around to see. I see batteries as always being more expensive to make. I don't see any other portable fuel that might compete with Hydrogen. Hydrogen powered engines have been around for over 30 or 40 years but no good source of fuel. It will take Nuclear power in great amounts to make it available. I had great hopes for Fusion but after 50 years of trying they still can't break even.
There wouldn't be many electric sold either if it were not for government subsidy.
However, I might like one of those Tesla cars when they come out!! That is, "like one" but won't be able to afford it.
Rich256 wrote:

Batteries more expensive than a fuel cell + a fuel tank? Especially since the fuel tank technology still isn't ready for prime time?
> Hydrogen powered engines have been around for over 30 or 40 years but no > good source of fuel.
Until very recently, no one could make a H2 engine that didn't produce lots of NOx pollution - more than any gasoline engine. 30-40 years of prototypes that can't be sold isn't too impressive.
> There wouldn't be many electric sold either if it were not for government > subsidy.
Since when are electric cars subsidized? Which government subsidizes the Sparrow? How much is this subsidy? Adding bullshit to the discussion isn't going to make your point.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

?? My understanding from what reading I have done is that burning hydrogen produces only water vapor. Where would the NOx come from?
<snip> > Mike
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Burning H2 and O2 produces water. Burning H2 and air produces water and NOx. Unless you plan on making a vehicle with an oxygen supply as well as a H2 supply, you have to design away the nitrogen problem. Low temperature combustion will help, but that's not going to work for internal combustion and will produce a low efficiency external combustion engine. Fuel cells, of course, don't have this problem. Ford (?IIRC) and BMW recently showed prototype H2 internal combustion engines that licked the NOx problem, but I don't know what they did to do so.
H2 burns somewhat hotter than gasoline or diesel and the NOx production is related to the temperature.
Mike