Wood panel repair

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.
Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.
Paneling is no longer made.
Hole is not in between studs.
Thanks, Andy
Andy wrote:

Hang a picture
Make a doggie door
Install a faux register grill
Put a bookcase in front of it
Replace paneling
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 9:04:41 AM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:

Not a repair kind of person ?
:-)

Paint ; wallpaper ; Bo Derek poster ; or maybe this .. http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-Box-Moose-Head-Wall-Hanging/ Always glad to help ... John T.
--- ---
Andy wrote:

I am, actually, but I have to know what it is that needs repair..."paneling" doesn't cut it :)
On 2/13/2016 12:04 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Remove remaining paneling -- to expand the UNDERSIZED HOLE!!

On 2/13/16 12:10 PM, Andy wrote:

In the early days of NASA, they spent tens of millions of dollars developing a special ball point pen that the first astronauts could use in the weightlessness of orbital flight to make notes on a yellow pad.
The Russkies gave each cosmonaut a box of #2 pencils and a pocket sharpener like kindergarten kids use...
--
“I’m interested in making sure we get the maximum amount of revenue from
those who can well afford to provide it.”
On 2/13/2016 9:52 AM, Andy wrote:

These go with everything. http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_3074457345616706250_-1_N_image_0?countryName=US&warehouse &showCountryChangePopUplse&langId=-1&currency=USD&catalogId557&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&storeIdq5839595&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 7:52 AM, Andy wrote:

So, there's a stud running down the "middle" of the hole (i.e., a portion of the hole between the studs to the left of it and another portion of the hole between the studs to the right)?
Where is the hole (in terms of its relationship to your living space? Basement? Living room, etc.?
Where *in* that space: up at the ceiling? crammed in a corner? down at the floor? etc.
What's on the other side of that space? Why aren't you asking about how to "patch" THAT side?
[I.e., it would have been helpful if you'd indicated what WAS in that hole, before, so folks could better visualize the problem.]
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:29:17 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Living room right at eye level.
Re-read my post.
Wood was in the hole. :-)
I was not asked to patch the other side, which is in another room anyway.
Andy
In typed:

Your responses to the answers and suggestions that people took the time to write seem a little "snarky" to me (not sure if that is the right word, but you get the idea).
You wrote that you were looking for ideas on "repairing or hiding" the hole in the paneling.
You wrote that the hole is not in between studs, so presumably there is a stud running down inside the hole area.
You wrote that they don't make that paneling anymore.
Maybe it would help in understanding your question and knowing what you actually have there if you could post a photo or two.
But, hey, based on what you wrote, you could probably patch the hole with any similar thickness piece of paneling (even though it doesn't match exactly), and attach the repair piece to the existing stud. Before doing that, you could probably put a "backer piece" behind the hole and glue it to the current paneling from the back. Then, do the repair piece, attach that to the stud, and glue that to the backer piece.
That's the "repairing" part.
Then, since it won't match the existing paneling, hang an eye level picture, painting, mirror, etc. over the "repair".
That will be the "hiding" part.
Good luck.
TomR wrote:

Eye level sitting or standing? I think that's about it. I wonder How the hole got there?
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:10:06 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

Not much to go on. What kind of paneling is it exactly? They don't make that kind, but do they make one that is a lighter color and could be stained to match? If so, maybe replace one panel? Can't say how to match it with no info.
On 2/13/2016 10:09 AM, Andy wrote:

I read the post.
It says nothing about "living room", nor "eye level".

"HVAC duct", "wall safe", "supply register", "return register", "electrical sub-panel", etc. "Wood" provides no information about the nature or location of the hole.

On 2/13/2016 9:52 AM, Andy wrote:

If it is high enough, a mirror or picture can cover it. If on the floor, make a doggie door. Depending on what room it is in, put an appliance in front of it. Wine cooler or beer keg.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 06:52:53 -0800 (PST), Andy

If the hole is 8x12", and *NOT* between studs, then the entire wall has to be made of studs.
Your post makes no sense!
On 2016-02-13 7:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

How exactly do you figure that, an 8x12 hole will easily fit in studs 16" on center
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 2/13/2016 7:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

His does, yours does not. In the 8" opening there is a stud someplace. Wgy do you find that strnge?
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 7:04:21 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Paneling is painted.
I will cut out hole to a uniform rectangular size and fill in with wood of the same thickness.
And finish by painting it.
Andy
Andy wrote:

Prime the repair, patch it twice then paint. It will be gone.