Wood Mulch Danger?

What are the dangers in mulch that landscapers use?

I heard that sometimes old wood from pressure treated wood will wind up in the mulch. Pressure treated wood contains copper arsenic that can leach into the soil or perhaps under foot and introduced into the house where your baby is crawling.

I was told that wood mulch also attracts termites to your house and should kept at least 6" from your house.?

Thanks.

Reply to
J Huntley Palmer

Some links I found:

J Huntley Palmer

J Huntley Palmer

There should not be PT in your "hardwood" mulch. I suppose it is a matter of whether or not you trust your landscaper. However, unless you child eats it (or burns it), it is pretty harmless.

Don't know about termites.

Reply to
Toller

I agree, maybe the compost you can get from the local dump is contaminated (I find plastic and metal foil most often) but mulch is made usually from paper and or wood waste at a mill and a chunk of PT wood isn't going to look like a chunk of bark. Even commercial compost might have some contaminants, better more expensive brands have quality control to keep the junk out.

Reply to
PipeDown