Wood heat

Page 1 of 2
Does wood produce carbon monoxide or it that just petroleum products?
Claude Hopper wrote:

Any incomplete combustion can produce CO.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It can and usually does.

plus burning wood or anything for that matter uses up oxygen
The responces are correct. That is why using a charcoal grille indoors--either for heating or cooking-- is an extreme no-no.. Larry
Claude Hopper wrote:

Yes, it's a carbon based fuel.
Claude Hopper wrote:

Anytime there is incomplete combustion of a carbon containing fuel, there will be carbon monoxide. If you get a third degree burn, I'm sure there will be some carbon monoxide produced because, I would hope that, you are a carbon based life form.
TDD

It always does in a home
Any unburned fossil fuel, such as wood, gas,oil,coal will produce CO.
Mikepier wrote:

Wood is not a fossil fuel. It is a carbon based fuel though, as are fossil fuels.
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:54:43 -0500, Claude Hopper

Anything that burns and produces smoke generates carbon monoxide, including tobacco, wood, gas stoves, etc. If adequate oxygen is available more CO2 is generated than CO. These two compounds are in equalibrium, so you should still have proper venting, at least in living spaces.
Something else to consider - how will the wood burning device be installed? Where will it's air supply come from? Where will it's exhaust go? I haven't bothered to install an outdoor air supply kit to my wood stove, so it draws air for combustion from my front room, causing equal volumes of outside air to enter the house. It exhaust through a well maintained chimney, and I run it hot. It's a Quadrafire, which are designed to inject air into the top of the combustion chamber to further reduce emmissions. The only time I'm likely to get any CO inside the house would be if the chimney plugged, the fire is smoldering, or the wind is such that it blows smoke down the chimney. My CO detector has never gone off. I burn the stove all day, every day.
I have seen any stats, but I suspect that wood stoves are not a major contributor to CO in the house.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:54:43 -0500, Claude Hopper

Yes! Stated clearly on my Gourmet Mesquite Charcoal bags. The reason my turkeys are smoked outside during the holiday past.
any thing that burns produces it to some degree.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

No, not anything, it has to be carbon based. Magnesium burns fairly easily for example, the product is magnesium oxide, there is no carbon to make CO.

Given that fact. homes should be heated by magnesium to be safer. Screw the Arabs and oil, dig those mines for magnesium.
wrote in message

Nuclear fusion would be a better choice. Hydrogen in, helium out. At least until the helium increase in the atmosphere triggers an ice age. Then we would go back to burning fossil fuel like crazy to bring back global warming :-)

air and hydrogen better fuel, does create water vapor that can make global warming worse. sadly theres no free lunch

Not with our current technology. We need a better energy source, one that doesn't produce heat or water or CO2 or radioactive materials as a byproduct. But the environmental extremists don't want hydro or wind power, or even wave energy. Burning coal or gas to produce electricity is just plain stupid. Nuclear fission leaves a lot of nasty dangerous byproducts. We don't really have anything that works good and that everyone is happy with.
Zootal wrote:

I wish there was a way to turn stupidity into electrical energy. "Dumb Ass Power", what a concept. The human race is plagued by stupidity and a way to it into electricity would be quite beneficial.
TDD