Wood furnance in garage for house?

I have propane heat. I am afraid the price will go up. I also have propane hot water. Would it be possible to put a small wood firnace in my attached garage to "supplment" heat to my house and also heat hot water? This is just an idea I have. Can I vent the needed chimney out the wall rather than have to cut a hole in my roof?

Open flame in close proximity with gasoline. Not the choice I would use.
Better check with the local building codes before you have an insurance claim.
Insulation is usually the best bet for saving money. Additional insulation in the attic is pretty cheap. I just had R-30 blown over what was all ready in my attic. Slowed the cycling of the a/c down by about 1/3.
SQLit wrote:

Right. That must be why you never ever see gas water heaters installed in garages either.
Dennis (evil)

use.
Gas water heaters are installed every day in Arizona in the garages, KB home comes to mind. The heater sits on a 18 inch pedestal, required by the building code. New gas water heaters are a lot safer than what was around 10 years ago.
SQLit wrote:

Um, did you notice that Whoosh! sound as the sarcasm flew over your head? ;-)
Dennis (evil)

This is Turtle
no SQLit , did not have his bullshit meter turn on !
TURTLE

Solid fueled heaters are not permitted in garages. Solid fuel, (wood, coal, etc) cannot be immediately shut down and the embers may last of days after the last time the fire was fed. National Fire Code.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Chimneys for wood burners are best if the go straight up through the roof. There are a lot of reasons for this including draft, creosote condensation, structural considerations, etc.
Payback time on most woodburners is at least three or four years and furnaces are longer than that. If you are thinking "small," "cheap," "easy to install," and "money-saving" you are dreaming.
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tarm+wood+furnace
If you want cheap heat, check out:
<http://www.electricrailroad.com/Stove/Stove.html

Not permitted to have solid fueled heaters in garages. If you can find another location, you can go out a wall to a stack. that goes above the roof.