Wood floors vs. latex-backed rugs?

Most of what I've read about wood floors has discouraged using rugs with latex backing. How is one supposed to keep throw rugs and area carpets in place without latex backing or pads? Is it really that bad for the floor? (I suspect it might be, as there is an area near the dining room door in my house that looks as though a latex-backed throw rug was used and stuck to the floor at some point.)
Thanks in advance, Jo Ann

Nails? ;)

Since the area with the rugs is covered by the rug, why do you you care if the non-skid backing marks the finish? It won't hurt the wood any, and you'll need to re-finish the floor if you permanantly remove the rug, because of differences in fading anyway.

Some latex backed rugs would leave marks and stick to certain finishes. If you were to simply re-arrange the furniture, it would look like crap. I have a couple of rugs in my family room and there is no reason to re-finish anything as the furniture is moved, nor has the floor faded in some areas, at least not after four years so far. Most of the room is open floor, rugs are only at hte door and in front of cone chair and sofa.
Exactly! This is essentially how I want to use the rugs, too. Do you know what kind of latex (or non-latex backing) I could look for that would prevent the marks?
Jo Ann
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Can't say for sure. I just looked at the rug in front of my recliner. It has a rubber back of some sort and it in good condition and no marks. There is no label to ID it though.

You can buy rug pads that go under the rug that are not latex backed. We've done this in a number of places over saltillo tile and wood with no issues yet. Cheers, cc
i use latex backed rugs, on my wood floors all the time...............haven't had a problem./