Wood floors or tile?

I live in Ohio and I currenlty have vinly on my lower floors and I would like to up grade. I would like which would be better to put into the house, wood or tile? In terms of taking care of, wear and adding over all value to the house for when I resell. I am not sure how wood floors would handle snow, salt and the traffic of the kitchen. Any advice?
cheaphomeowner wrote:

Is the house arranged so you can put tile in mud room and entry areas? TB

there is no one answer. depends on taste. i like wood cause it's warmer feeling and looking, will never go out of style IMO, and can be refinished. tile is almost indestructible. tb has good advice...put tile in the entry, mudroom, or even in front of the door if you don't have either of the above. i think it holds up fine in a kitchen. i even had it in a bathroom, and it held up fine, as long as you don't keep it continually wet (no wet bath mats left forever).
I can put tile in both the mud room and entry. However, I think it wouldn't look right. The downstairs is only about 900sqft and very open and I think the two types of floors wouldn't work. I am very much leaning toward wood floors. I do however need to consider the 1/2 bath and the laundry room. What grade of wood flooring would work best? Should I even consider Pergo or just use a straight wood glue down?

Go with both.
Tile in the mudroom, laundry room and kitchen (and any other heavy traffic and/or wet rooms), wood everywhere else. Wood holds up well, if it's a hardwood. Do not save money by putting down pine -- it dents like you wouldn't believe.
If you put down wood, a satin polyurethane finish shows less wear than a high gloss.
HTH,
Donna

Ditto. At least in the laudry room and bathroom, since they're separate rooms if I understand you correctly. It *is* good to have tile in entry and mudroom areas - is ther really no way to delineate these? Actually, I don't think it looks bad at all to have a rectangle of tile area (I'm doing this downstairs but using vinyl) in front of doorways even if it is in a small space, then otherwise wood. Folks seem to be pushing to have wood everywhere for "unity" or "continuity", but really, that's not practical in a lot of cases and, I'll bet, in ten years it will be more in fashion to break up spaces more according to function.
Banty