Wood Flooring for Bathrooms?

I like the feel, color, easy installation and easy maintenance of the currently popular wood flooring. There is of course the solid wood and then there is the compressed board type, the latter being cheaper. Are there any negatives in using the compressed board type flooring for the renovation of my bathrooms? Will the material absorb water and swell as in the particle board type furniture?

Not only will water damage it. but it will absorb the pee around the toilet. I really like wood flooring, but it will never be in my bathroom.
As you become more "grown up" you'll learn to pee IN the toilet and your family will be soooo grateful.

toilet.

Ha Ha. Fact is ANY male that stands at the toilet is making tiny splashes in the water. Even women can dribble over the side at times.
The person that does our cleaning at work is always lamenting at how bad the ladies room is.
<< As you become more "grown up" you'll learn to pee IN the toilet and your family will be soooo grateful. >>
And if you're raising small children, make them go outside in a secluded part of the backyard.
Joe

We have solid wood flooring sealed with moisture cured poly in9 two bathrooms. They have been in place since 1979. They work fine.
I wouldn't use composition material. I sense it will absorb moisture.
TB
The hell with wood. Did you ever see the episode of Home Improvement where Tim builds the Perfect Guy Bathroom? Stainless steel everywhere, huge television behind glass, floor drain and a steam hose (for cleaning), and if I recall, windshield wipers for the TV's glass cover. Priceless! :-)

Wood, by nature, absorbs moisture and swells. If you have any mold or mildew problems in the bathroom, avoid using wood.
Why not just use laminate imitation wood? Wouldn't that eliminate any problem with spills in the bath or kitchen?

Blue wrote:

Laminate, especially cheap laminate, frequently handles water (clean or contaminated) even worse than solid wood.

It seems the only choice left is either teak or slate. :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

Mine are Diamond. Never scratch, don't stain, and reflect light. They are a little more expensive than the granite ones, tho. The worst thing about it is that people are always trying to chip off pieces of it. :-)

Smooth diamond, or the powdered stuff used on some sharpening stones? If the latter, the entire floor is a tool for getting continuous removal of dead skin and callouses!
Doug Kanter wrote:

One continuous piece of smooth diamond from South Africa, cut by a Hasidic diamond cutter in the back of a Ford F-250 pickup truck, while travelling down a bumpy road.

kitchen?
the
Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit - a car commercial. To prove what a smooth ride the car has, a mohel is attempting to do a circumcision while going down a bumpy road. :-)
Unless I misremember, the imitation wood laminate sold at Costco (~$1.80) is guaranteed for many years (25?) against damage from moisture.

Unless I misremember, the imitation wood laminate sold at Costco (~$1.80) is guaranteed for many years (25?) against damage from moisture.

I wonder how they define moisture. High humidity? Saturation? Many of the laminates are 100% plastic and should not have a problem. I'd be more concerned about a leak past the laminate to the sub floor.
I'm going to have to check that again when I troll those aisles. I just may have said it was guaranteed against moisture "except" in a bath or kitchen.
No problem with getting under the laminate if applied over a slab though. Guess you already knew that!

(~$1.80)
the
Good question, if my house is any indication. At least once a week, someone forgets how to "set up" the shower curtain and there's a dinner-plate size puddle on the floor afterward.