Wood floor with a border

I've already bought the wood.

I plan to put a 10 inch border all the way around the room of Brazilian cherry. Then I plan to "fill" the interior with hickory.

Should I do all the border first? Then fill?

I'm worried about the interior having perfect 90 degree (i.e. square) corners. If they aren't square I'll get little gaps.

Suggestions?

P.S. Between this project and the pergola project mentioned in a previous post, I have all my summer Saturdays taken!

Reply to
emptyshell

I would install the floor first and then use the 'coping' technique for the base at the 90o's and the out of square corners won't matter..

G Henslee

I don't understand your answer. The border I'm referrinf to is not the moulding (aka baseboard), it's actually floor, too.

Reply to
emptyshell

Oops.

Field first, having layed out and 'squared' the room with tape measure and with chalk lines for reference.

Here are some helpful install tips.

G Henslee

Thanks for the references......

I spoke with the installer at the place I bought the wood and recommends exactly the opposite! I.e. put the border in first. He says that, yes, when you reach the far side, the angles may not be exactly

90 degrees but its easier to cut 89 degrees on the miter saw than to get the "field" centered and true and them put in the border.

He also says, you can make both ways work.

Not sure what I'll do -- I'll have to decide tomorrow.

Reply to
emptyshell

if you do the field first, and make it square, then you can add the border easily. if the room isn't square, you can usually hide the off-ness under the shoe molding. at least the non-squareness will be at the edge and hopefully under something, so you won't see it as much.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I agree. Nothing is perfectly square. The room itself may be off, having a border sort of force your hand to decide where to hide the unevenness. Hide them all under the baseboards. Don't hide half in the baseboards and half on the other side of the border.

Reply to
miamicuse

Your suggestions sounds like a good one but I followed the advice of the guy that sold me the wood

It worked just fine for two rooms. You method works, too, I'm sure. Thanks!

Reply to
emptyshell