Wood Floor Refinishing

Does anyone have any advice on sanding hardwood (oak) floors? The hosue is empty, and the floors are in good condition with no finish on them. I have heard a belt or a rotary sanders are available.

I'd consider hiring a pro.
You can rent the machines, but it is also possible to make a mess very quickly until you learn how to handle the machine properly. I understand there are newer machines with orbital disks that would be easier to control, just not as fact.
Steve wrote:

I have used the belt type floor sanders and with some practice got good at it. I was lucky I did not damage anything important while practicing. The rotary floor sanders are suppose to make the job less demanding for us unskilled types. I have not tried one so I can't say. I would personally rent one the next time I do that kind of job even though I believe they take longer.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Steve wrote:

Since you have never used one, you would probably dig ruts deep enough to fall into with a floor belt sander. Rent one with a large platen...sort of a super sized orbital sander. They will take a bit longer but you'll be able to do a good job and not mess up your floor.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

is
have
Belt sanders can be a hoot. If your not careful you can dig holes in the floor. Best to practice with less aggressive paper at first. We only used the rotary sanders for the corners and areas that the big bertha could not reach, about 3 inches.
Steve wrote:

If the floors are in good condition and have no finish, why do you desire to sand them?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Unless your a complete bumbling idiot a drum sander is easy to use did my living and dining room in 3 days 1 sanding and 2 for the finish. The most important thing to remember is NEVER stop moving when the belts ingaged. next use a light colored stain it will show less scratches and spend the extra money and use a lambs wool aplicator. Remeber NEVER stop moving in the direction of the grain by moving i mean from one end to the other not just back and forth in one spot. If the floors have no finish on them dont use anything coarser than 120 it only takes a second to put a dip in your floor so DONT stop in the middle of the room for nothing. Remember this and you'll be fine
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:28:38 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

I rented the drum sander, edging sander, bought a bunch of paper, floor finish, applicators, etc. I spent about $375 by the time I was all done to do a 13x10 bedroom. It was a BITCH. Lots of time and work. I called the pro to quote the other bedroom. $400. I saved $25 freaking dollars and it took me several days by the time I was done. I would NEVER do that job myself again. By the way, I decided to leave the other bedroom carpeted as the floor feels cold with the wood, but that's a function of the moron that built the house and didn't insulate the ceiling of the garage that is directly below the bedrooms.

I just did mine, prior to moving in. I used a flat sander vs. the drum. Someone had used a drum sander prior to me and gouged the floors in many places. My floors had stain plus varnish on them, and I tried to bring them down to the original wood. I was 95% successful. Luckily the stain i selected did not show the areas where the previous owners had gouged it with a drum sander.
Lots of work. Lots of fumes. Was worth it in the long run doing it myself since I was on a strict budget. However, I would never voluntarily do it again myself. If you have the funds, have a pro do it.