Wood exterior doors?

Here's what I did.

I went to the Lowes website and used the search term, "Exterior doors". I will go there now and list the categories that come up. Actually the term they use is "Entry doors".

Oh duh! And now I see when I look at the left side of the screen, there are 4 listings for wood entry doors. I had not seen that before. I just looked at the big pictures that say: In-Stock, Steel, Fiberglass, Energy Star, Decorative and Hardware.

But still... They sell 748 Fiberglass and 464 Steel doors. Only 4 wood? Seems that wood is not so popular now. Then when I used my Swagbucks search engine, the first hit I got was for a site that sells really fancy doors that cost over $1,000.

Reply to
Julie Bove

It's a very lightweight door which is why I think they put the jury rigged plastic kickplate on it.

Daughter and I came home once and I was in a hurry to get into the house. I pushed the door open quickly, not realizing that my husband was in the laundry room. I still snicker as I remember this. The door is lightweight enough not to injure him but it did send him flying into the wall. Our laundry room isn't very big so my daughter and I saw him splat sort of splayed out and flat into the wall. We thought it was hilarious. Husband? Not so much.

Reply to
Julie Bove

No. I know this. It's just the closest place to my house, unless Dunn Lumber sells doors. I should go in there one day and see what they do sell. Dunn would be the closest place and then Lowes. Then probably Ace but I'm not sure if they have doors. At any rate, the repair people I have hired generally go to Dunn or Lowes due to their proximity.

Okay. I wasn't actually looking for a wood door, was just curious as to how common they were now. When I sold building materials, we only sold wood doors. But aside from the house where my mom is moving out of and a few older places where I lived, I only ever had steel doors. So I figured that steel was more common now.

Reply to
Julie Bove

so your search engine is broke and you can't make your phone work?

At any rate, the repair people I have hired

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

your house was inspected and they didn't tell you that your doors were code violators? what did the bank say when you failed your home inspection?

we were told that there is too

the insulation caught fire? how? what kind of insulation catches fire?

That space is all open up there and we were told

and now when you file an insurance claim, the insurance inspector will notice all of the code violations and you won't get paid on your claim

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

of course. how else could they afford to pay you for using their search engine if they didn't direct you to the high end of every search?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Celluose.

Reply to
dadiOH

If that were true then no one would ever have their claims paid.

A good inspector can find multiple code violations in virtually *ANY* house.

Reply to
0ren

I've never seen a plastic kickplate.

I put a brass kickplate on mine outside because the veneer was chipping at the bottom. The inside needs one too now. I'm trying to decide how tacky it looks, if at all, but I think it's common and no one will notice.

I don't think it works that way. It it was heavy enough to send him into the wall, it's heavy or maybe you were continuing to push on it. . It didnt' injure him because instead of standing still while he was hit, he moved away from the door, whether propelled by the door or by his own reflex and muscles.

To see if the door is solid or not, I'd tap on it. A solid door will make a different sound from your interior hollow doors, like for the bedroom and bathroom.

No one has pointed out that if your door was code when the house was built, or later for that matter, it's probably grandfathered in, and okay. Even if newly constructed houses in the same jurisdiction would have have to have a better door.

I think one could count on less than one hand the number of things that people have been forced to change on a house that was up to code when built.

I can only think of one, a fence around a swimming pool. That is, there might be some place where swiimming pools were built and no fence was required around it at the time. Maybe Hollywood in 1925. Or some all farm area which suddenly got suburbanite "subdivisions" and pools before they could change the laws.

Are there others?

I'm not talking about banning slaughterhouses or pig farming or oil drilling in an area that used to allow them, but about physical construction of the house.

My friend 5 years ago bought a house with knob and tube wiring. It was still legal in that house, though my friend replaced it anyhow.

Reply to
micky

What? Lowes doesn't pay me!

Reply to
Julie Bove

No clue. Looks like fiberglass. You can still see the blackened part where it was smoldering.

I didn't file a claim.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Yes. My mom is selling her house. It was built in 1962. It was built well. It's just that codes have changed over the years and some things were not up to code.

We are getting a new roof. We don't have any vents. Or the kind of vents that a roof needs. We have to have those put in to make it up to code which is a good thing. He said the garage in particular was quite bad. It gets very damp in there.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Well, I can only assume that is what it is because it is on the lower part of the door. They (former owners) stuck the plastic on there.

I didn't really push on it. I just flung it. And it is very lightweight.

This door sounds very hollow.

Okay. I just know when the house was inspected, nothing was said about doors.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Don't you have something better to do than stalking me on the Internet? I don't *want* a wood door! I don't even want any door right now. I was just looking to see what is available.

Reply to
Julie Bove

but swagbucks does and where do you think swagbucks gets the money to do that?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

it's impossible to set fiberglass insulation on fire, it's impossible to set cellulose insulation on fire. in fact it's impossible to set any modern legitimate insulation on fire

and when you do file an insurance claim, the insurance inspector will notice all of the code violations and you won't get paid on your claim

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

and some of those things need to be upgraded when ownership changes, like earthquake straps for water heaters

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

not if it's been properly treated with borate as it's supposed to be

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

you really do think that much of yourself, don't you.

then why start a thread about such doors and phrase it as if it were important to you?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

yes, I'm much better

Reply to