Wood exterior doors?

Page 2 of 4

As I said in other replies, I was wrong. When I looked at Lowes, I did not see a category for wood doors. They do in fact have them. Not a lot but they're there. I stand corrected.
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:32:45 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

It's not like Lowes is the only place that sells doors. Just for the hell of it I looked at their closest competitor, you probably have one right down the street from your Lowes: Home Depot
On the HD website they not only have a category for front wood doors, they have 323 products in that category. As others have said, local lumber companies will have boat loads of wood entry doors they will sell you. Many you'll have to order, but you can surely get virtually anything you want and are willing to pay for.

No. I know this. It's just the closest place to my house, unless Dunn Lumber sells doors. I should go in there one day and see what they do sell. Dunn would be the closest place and then Lowes. Then probably Ace but I'm not sure if they have doors. At any rate, the repair people I have hired generally go to Dunn or Lowes due to their proximity.

Okay. I wasn't actually looking for a wood door, was just curious as to how common they were now. When I sold building materials, we only sold wood doors. But aside from the house where my mom is moving out of and a few older places where I lived, I only ever had steel doors. So I figured that steel was more common now.
| I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned this | house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole | (perhaps for a peep hole) in this door.
I guess that's the biggest problem with steel doors. They seal well, and they look OK when painted, but they can't be worked. If you had a wood door already then you wouldn't need a new one. You could just patch the holes.
| I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely | available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes doesn't | carry them. She didn't believe me. |
You don't want a wood door but were just curious whether you could get them? :) Lowes and HD can order wood doors, just like normal lumber yards. They have catalogs. (I was looking into bifolds recently and found they had catalogs for some very expensive options.) They just can't fit all that stuff on the floor. They also don't generally market to high-end or architects. The high-end fashion tends to be things like solid mahogany doors or high quality painted wood doors. The working class fashion tends to be things like fiberglas doors with fake "exotic wood" grain and over-the -top junky etched glass panels. The average DIY, landlord, or low-end contractor who wants to replace a front door is likely to want one of those gaudy numbers with the etched-and-beveled glass sidelights and fake wood grain, so that's what's in stock.
(I always find that kind of intriguing: The poor always want to buy gaudy, gold-encrusted tokens of royalty, while the rich try to show off by buying subtlety and official "authenticity" from "exclusive" dealers. Working class people buy crappy particle board dressers with garish gold pulls, yuppies buy the same thing but with "rosewood" veneer that's actually plastic laminate, and no pulls. While the *real* sophisticates -- the Deconstructionist architects -- want polyurethaned MDF because it's "honest". They want to show off that they've conceptually transcended fashion. :)

I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a couple of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior doors.
All of our dressers are wood although mine has a veneer. My dad bought it for me when I was a baby. He bought it used from a hotel that was selling their old stuff. It was purported to be 30 years old when he got it. I'll be 55 next month. The veneer is chipping off in some places though. I have two other wood ones that were purchased used on Cape Cod. Some guy just outside of the military base sells old furniture that he has refinished. Daughter is the only one who got new furniture. Buttercream colored sleigh bed and small chest of drawers. Of course she picked the most expensive things in the shop. My parents bought these for her and they let her do it. She was 4. Now of course she wants something else. I knew this would happen. I did the same thing. But my White French Provincial stuff had been kept in such good shape that I managed to sell several pieces for the price that was paid years prior for the whole set. So win win there.
We're not rich and we're not poor. I do love fancy stuff but I don't usually buy it. I do like quality though and this house is not quality. Used to be that Zillow.com listed a number for quality of construction with 10 being the best. This house was a 4. I did look up various things at Lowes and Home Depot. When this house was built and remodeled, they put in the lowest priced things throughout. And it shows. :(
So... We are slowly redoing what we can when we can afford to do it.

she doesn't use google: that's the absolute truth, she doesn't use google.
she also seems to have problems with coming up with search terms

You are correct. I don't use google.

I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to 20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the box since before I bought it. :-) But it's on my list of things to do.

class, huh?
On Mon, 05 May 2014 11:59:17 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

I think to search for search terms, use google.google.com
| I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a couple | of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior doors. |
You didn't distinguish between slabs and prehung. They may not have prehung, but any 1 3/4 slab should be exterior grade. They have those on the shelf. It sounds like that's what Vic Smith bought.

I didn't really look to see what they were because I am not interested. I just wanted to correct my error in saying that they didn't sell them.

| I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet | doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to | 20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the | box since before I bought it. :-)
I know that feeling. Things one can't afford not to buy, even if they're useless. At some point the price itself seems like a great bargain. :)
I remember one day being in Zayre's (a cheap dept store, now extinct) when 3rd brake lights came into fashion. They were selling them cheap for retrofitting old cars. A man behind me in line was holding 5 of them (the limit per customer) and was so delighted with the deal that he couldn't resist sharing his enthusiasm with me. What a deal! I asked with surprise if he actually had 5 cars to put the lights in. His face went blank.

Yeah. I know people who do stuff like that all the time!
I realize that hand held hair dryers have been around for some time. I saw an episode of Leave it to Beaver where Beaver was using one but... They didn't become popular until the 70's and then they were pretty expensive. Somewhere along the line, the price dropped to around $5 and now they have since gone up in price again as they changed the features to them although you can still get cheap ones. Anyway... When they were cheap, my dad couldn't believe the deal he got so he bought tons. He was giving them away to anyone and everyone that stopped by the house. Finally my friend (after being offered one umpteen times) told my dad that anyone could buy them for that price. And that was the end of that!
I am also reminded of countless couponers who get things for cheap or free just because they can. One the one episode of Extreme Couponing, the teen boy gets sanitary napkins announcing that he doesn't know what they are but it doesn't matter because they are free!

whatever you use, you don't use it well

Only during certain times of the year and depending on where you are in AK.
Real pretty when the Northern Lights are in full dance mode.

No, I do need them. To replace the crummy bifold doors that the hall closet has. It's just that they're down on the list and the list is moving slowly.

I remember Zayre's.

Detached garage.

I spent a year at USCG LorSta Port Clarence, AK. We used to lay on our backs on the shore of the Bearing Sea and watch the lights dance for hours.

Yeah, but it's good for the rest of us to know why your imprression is so far off from Vic's, for example. And Mayayana explained it.
If this were an english usage group, I'd comment on the phrase "prehung door". It sounds like it's about the door, but the difference is really the door frame. Practical people like most of those here might not care about that, but some of the English usage folk find that sort of thing very interesting.