Wood exterior doors?

Page 1 of 4
Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem not. Not that I want one but... I am getting new roofing soon and will have to have no soffit put in and that will require painting. Since I want the house to be more of a yellow, rather than the bleh color it now is (too dark to be white, too light to be beige), I thought I might get a new door as well. Lowe's seems to sell mostly Fiberglass and steel. I currently have steel but it's old and crappy looking. I got a really nice white storm door last year and was thinking that it might look good with a white door as well. Or even a red one. Not sure the exact color I want the house but something in a pale yellow tone. Perhaps with a hint of gold or peach. Depends on what roofing I get. The roofer gave me a sample of Prairie Wood which is a lighter brown with copper flecks. I love it but it would appear that it isn't algae-proof and I for sure want that. I did check their website and unless they did not update it, it's not. :( Because I love the colors.
Anyway... I was talking with someone about doors and she insisted that of course they still sell wood doors. I only saw interior ones or the kind that are mostly glass with wood surrounding. I did find real wood doors for sale at various places but they appeared to be custom and were in the thousands of dollars.
I suspect that what this person thinks are wood are really fiberglass made to look like wood.
You can paint your steel door. There are also plenty of wood options. In addition to the prehung, expensive, decorative options, nearly all lumber yards can get standard wood doors. They just don't keep them in stock. When I need something like that I look at a catalog from Brosco. All lumber yards near me can get all Brosco items in 2-3 days. They're the standard for moldings, doors, windows, etc. If there isn't Brosco near you there's probably another company. any carpenter should be able to tell you and should have a catalog.
[...]

I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned this house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole (perhaps for a peep hole) in this door. They must have been very short to have drilled it there. We also need a new knob and deadbolt. They are old and we have trouble opening them.
I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes doesn't carry them. She didn't believe me.
Julie Bove wrote:

Solid wooden door will cost. My daughter's reno'd house built in the 1920's has all original doors redone, all solid exotic wood weighing a ton each. I heard they are very valuable. My house has all steel with wood core exterior doors with Al thresholds plus mostly glass storm door. Also it matters which way the entrance faces, South is hard on doors(hot sun and UV exposure)

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.
Julie Bove wrote:

I think sun sets that direction.

I don't see any reasons in your post for not using a fiberglass door. They are made to look like wooden doors and usually come primed and ready for paint.
You can get some really nice fiberglass doors with window inserts. Look here for example:
http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/ccv/index.aspx

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they were common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they were.

Not necessarily. They may have wanted one everybody could use. Next owners, house sitters, visitors.
I'm only 5'8 and I needed a peephole and drilled it for people shorter than I, for that very reason. But I look at it now and realize I still didn't make it low enough. If the next owner is 5'0, she'll have a lot of trouble using it.

WD-40. Or maybe graphite.

I don't believe it either.
BTW, my threshold has a groove in it from one side to the other, not very noticeable because it opens towards the inside of the house. And the door bottom has metal trim on it that goes inside the groove, from one side to the other. No outside air entering the house there. The other 3 sides are just springy copper like I'm used to for all my life, but the threshhold is really something.
Whereever the sun sets is west or southwest if you live in North America.

crappy looking. Would just like to replace it.

I stand corrected! Although I don't see a category for wood doors, when I went back again to look, I did see two cheap wood doors listed. Hmmm... Oops!

Yeah. Not sure where it sets. I guess I just don't pay attention.
On Mon, 5 May 2014 04:23:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday. Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

I guess I don't know what common is but... I sold building supplies in the 70's and the only doors that we had were wood. We also sold wood and faux wood paneling. Also melamine paneling. I would say that those things used to be common but they went the way of the wind.
Vic Smith wrote:

Door to enter the garage from outside? If from inside isn't that fire code violation?

What? The door from the inside made of wood would be a fire code violation? If so, I think we are violating!
On 5/6/2014 6:55 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

1. Entry door usually means exterior entry.     2. There are wood fire rated doors. Usually a sandwich with fire rated materials.

Why did you choose wood?
On Mon, 5 May 2014 11:52:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Because I didn't have to "special order" it. It was sitting there at the store. I can just cut a couple inches off the bottom and mortise in the hinges. It has the knob and latch holes already cut. It's primed and only needs a finish coat. It's well constructed. It cost 10 bucks. The previous wood door lasted 55 years with no care from me.

You must not have looked very far... https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=wood+entry+door&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
--

dadiOH
On 5/5/2014 7:37 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Julie doesn't go looking for stuff, she goes looking for attention. Hence her posts.

Uh... No. As I said, I was wrong. They do not have a category for wood exterior doors at Lowes. And that led me to believe that they did not have them.