Wood cutting problem

Page 2 of 2
DerbyDad03 wrote:

By setting a shooter board (AKA straight piece of wood) the proper distance from the edge and running the saw base against it ...
--
Snag

DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, don't clamp them together, clamp them DOWN....
1. lay boards flat across something, edges together
2. clamp a cutting guide on top at ends and parallel to edges
3. clamp a couple of pieces across the #1 boards, butting them to the improvised fence
4. cut strip
5. move #2
6. move #3
7. goto #4
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:49:31 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

"Long" is a relative term. ;-) I'm hoping to get 3 pieces of 6/4 x 6 x 16' home on an 8' open trailer tonight. The only saving grace is that they should be stiff enough not to bend as tey hang of the back of the trailer.

How narrow?

An actually Skilsaw or a circular saw? Skil is a brand name. Just curious.

For a simple task like ripping, a homemade table saw might work. This is just one example, youtube has other methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhORUN6oCUc

Please note that even though you can't see them, I have included every disclaimer you could probably think of related to the safety of this idea. If you get hurt, I'll swear that someone hacked my username and posted this without my permission.
I actually had a Hirsch Saw Table for a few years before I bought a Table Saw. You might be able to find one on CL or eBay. Your circular saw mounts underneath to create a table saw.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzIwWDcyMA==/z/VWIAAOSwv9hW12sA /$_35.JPG

In case you don't have enough suggestions.... You *could* make yourself a table saw of sorts. It sounds like you have more time than money. Bolt the circular saw to the bottom of a sheet of plywood, after taking off the blade guard and bypassing any safety swith. Rig up a switch to turn it on/off if it won't lock on. Then put sides on your plywood. A coule of 2x8s would work. Then put a couple of scrap 1x2's perpendicular on the bottom, to keep the 2x8s from bending.
All set. Now you just need a rip fence: A strip of plywood screwed to the plywood. I actually use exactly that kind of setup as a router table.

If you have a piece of 3/4 plywood, plunge cut your saw into it(square)then screw the baseplate to the plywood. Then flip it over and secure it to some horses then attach straight edge the width of the strips you need to cut and have at it

There used to be a trick in the old "mechanix" type magazines about making a table saw by screwing your circular saw to a piece of plywood, flipping it over and screwing the plywood to saw horses. If you screwed a guide to the plywood it would be trivial to rip down that lumber.
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:17:20 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I posted a video of one of those earlier in this thread.
Here ya go...
[quote]
For a simple task like ripping, a homemade table saw might work. This is just one example, youtube has other methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhORUN6oCUc

[/quote]
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 20:13:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03