wood ceiling in bathroom

I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.
The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.
I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.
Will there be problems with moisture?
--
In the beginning there were Ole and Lena. Then there was Sven. Now
there\'s Franz Fripplfrappl, Lena\'s confused: Was it Ole or was it Sven?

Very possible, but II don't know all the conditions. Do you open that window when showering in the winter? We don't up here where it can be 0 degrees. OTOH, wood cabinet in the bathroom don't just fall apart in a year either.
I'd look at some sort of sheet goods, like a Formica or Melamine myself.

Yes. Use a PVC beadboard. Once it's painted it's indistinguishable from wood beadboard. Azek and Versatex are two brand names - there are others.
"Franz Fripplfrappl" wrote

Less so than with drywall.

No need to paint all sides, wood trim has been used around showers for hundreds of years, moisture problems will happen anywhere things dont dry out. My 110 yr old house has wood trim in shower area. Who can say if you vent well enough all year, but a wood ceiling could be an issue.
ransley wrote:

The ceiling would probably be damp after each shower, even with a fan. Could end up a moldy mess by not finishing the wood - I would prime all sides, as OP proposes, with two coats primer on the end grain. Getting too much paint into the t/g might make the fit difficult. End grain is primary issue because it soaks in moisture more quickly - primer first, install, paintable caulk on joints, paint. Pretty much the way you would do exterior wood. Ever wonder why veneer on doors is always warping and cracking along lower edge? Moisture collects, runs, soaks in at bottom.

Some species work well, google around for what the Swedish saunas are lined with (I used to know but cant remember now). A guy at work found a source for the wood and made a hot-rock steam room with it, it was tongue and groove material, walls have to be lined with the tongue up I remember if going horizontal.

have a very good vapor barrier, or something well ventilated to prevent condensation inside the wall/ceiling.
--
Best regards
Han

...which would mean that the back of the wood would be wet and since mold spores are everywhere, they'd start growing back there. The back of the wood has to be painted, but it's better to not have the wood ceiling to start with.
If the OP is diligent in using an exhaust fan while showering and for half an hour afterwards, uses a primer/paint system designed to inhibit mold growth, and doesn't mind the extra maintenance (cleaning the grooves in an EC&B ceiling isn't the easiest thing to do), then there shouldn't be too big of a problem. It's also dependent on where the OP's house is. In AZ with low humidity and AC on almost all of the time, it won't be too big of a problem.
I'd still go with the PVC beadboard as there are no issues with having to paint the back of the boards, and there's nothing to support mold growth under the paint.