wood burning fireplace insert

I'm ready to purchase a wood burning fireplace insert. Doesn't have to heat a real large area but I live in the northeast so it has to be a good heater. After much research I like the Jotul C450 Kennebec the best. Anyone with experience with this stove out there ?

Reply to
RM2695

I have a free standing Jotul that I love, so that doesn't count, but a good place, besides here, to inquire about such things is newsgroup alt.energy.homepower

Reply to
Roger

No experience with one... yet... but I just ordered a new one literally about one hour ago. Should take a month to get it in and installed (they are installing it). I'll let you know what I think when I get it. That said, I was going to get a Vermont Castings Winterwarm, but they didn't look as nice as the new Kennebec, and they have the whole catalytic to deal with and eventually replace. I researched it out and decided on the Jotul for the size (good heat output), looks (doesn't look like a boiler from a ship, has some decent style), name brand/quality (as always, we'll wait and see, but from what I read about Vermont, they have had issues since the buyout), and no catalytic... only one lever to adjust, the damper. If it matters, I ordered it in Jotul Iron color... basically a deep gray.

There ya have it -- MW

Reply to
M Wilson

Am very interested in your choice of a new fireplace insert. We have a fairly large and inefficient fireplace in our family room and have been considering an insert for it.. Also have recently installed a much used second hand old style Jotul #8 in our basement workshop for occasional wood burning; so far very pleased with its operation, design etc. Would be most obliged if you would later post your findings with your Jotul insert on this news group.. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Terry,

Will do. I have a large fireplace, and originally went to the fireplace store to get glass doors... the screen I used allowed too much draft through when the fireplace was not in operation. I picked out some expensive door, custom, and then looked at the stoves they had in the store... said I'd sure like to have one of them (jokingly)... they showed me the inserts, basically the same price as the doors, and the rest, is history. I'll post my results when I have her fired up, in a month or so.

Reply to
M Wilson