Wood burning

Been burning wood since last fall. My chimney is getting all black on the outside. Why is that? Not that much build up on the inside.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Could be poor draft with the solids in the smoke wafting down. Could be a porous stone with no liner and the creosote leaking through. Need more info or a photo to get a better idea.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

smoke wafting down at times. I can stand in the driveway and the smoke blows in my face. When the rains come back after winter I suppose it will all wash down.
--
Van Chocstraw

Could be muddy Racoons climbing up to stay warm.
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:22:31 -0800 (PST), ransley

no ransley you dumbass. One would see muddy raccoon footprints if that were the case. You need to beat your self in the head. Bubba

My steel chimney is black at the top and for several inches down. I think this is because there is often no wind at this location, thus smoke is free to shed particulates nearby when it hits colder air, and they are then attracted (electrically) to the nearest surface. Of course you may have a masonry chimney -- you did not say.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs