Wonderful American elm has pavers laid right up to tree base

A much valued American elm in Loveland Co. has been lovingly cared for be the local DAR ladies. The tree has some health problem and I think some of the "improvement" around the tree has contributed to this. The tree was planted in 1932 on a school ground which is now a Walgreen parking lot on a busy intercection. The area out from the base of the tree is covered in driveway pavers out from the bas for 15 to20 feet.Also, at the outer edge of the pavers are vertical timbers( treated lumber) that form a raised area that are topped by the pavers. All I understand about tree care goes against what I have see done to this tree. Out from the pavers is the paved parking lot of the Walgreens. What advice can we give the DAR to help this spectacular tree?
On 6/7/2014 1:44 PM, Ron Baldridge wrote:

Probably best bet is to get them to consult w/ the local extension agent as one presumes they may not take kindly to being told they're wrong by "just anybody". :)
Pictures would be good but from what you've described they're working hard to kill it. It needs the open ground to the radius (or as close as feasible) of the outermost branches for water collection and aeration and the ground contour should never be raised above that originally established.

Ron Baldridge wrote:

Tell them to contact local media, as well as prepare some material to post on fecebook and youtube.
Retailers don't want negative exposure on social media, so do what you can to tell them it's in their best interest to turn a bad-news story into a green, environmentally friendly, happy-ending story.

...snip...

...snip...
Makes one wonder how any tree on a city street survives.
http://www.provo.org/Home/ShowImage?id 77&tc5167503089870000
http://localecology.org/images/treewalk_washsqvill_planetrees_1.jpg

That's true but pavers are permeable. And trees thrive in many cities almost totally surrounded by concrete. I'm wondering how long the parking lot has been there?
We bricked in our courtyard 3-4 years ago. The bricks surround a large oak tree, their distance varying from it by 8-12'. The tree gets just as much water as it did originally...when it rains, a bit may run off toward it but at least 80% goes straight down. Same with air...permeable to water, permeable to air.
--

dadiOH