Wobbly fan

Hello,

I have a ceiling fan whose motor area quite noticeably wobbles. The blades are fine and don't wobble but the center part does. Any way to fix it?

Thanks,

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

The thing the blades attach to wobbles but the blades themselves don't?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

The blades are out of balance. Try taping a washer & screw in various places until it balances, then screw the washer there. Trial & error. It's faster if you can mount the fan with axis horizontal (NO power!), the tighter blade will stop on the up side.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Yes, I know that sounds strange but true. We took the glass globe off because the vibration was hideous but the blades are functioning flawlessly...

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:45:26a, Cindy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Blades that are out of balance will make the whole fan wobble. The blades are obviously firmly attached to their mounts, so they are not wobbling independently? Is this what you mean?

It would seem impossible, since the blades are attached to the motor, that they are not wobbling along with the rest of the fan (as one unified assembly).

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Exactly. And it only makes noise when the fan is on medium or high. It's quiet when running on low...

Thanks,

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

Thanks,

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Do the washer and screw routine using tape during the trial period. The horizontal routine works only for static imbalance, unequal weight of the blades. If a blade has a slightly different pitch it will also cause wobble which will not be revealed by the horizontal, power off, routine. And blade pitch is a common problem. That is why the instructions that come with the fans provide and recommend something similar to the washer routine.

SJF

Reply to
SJF