Wobbly fan

Hello,
I have a ceiling fan whose motor area quite noticeably wobbles. The blades are fine and don't wobble but the center part does. Any way to fix it?
Thanks,
Cin
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only
Cindy wrote:

The thing the blades attach to wobbles but the blades themselves don't?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Yes, I know that sounds strange but true. We took the glass globe off because the vibration was hideous but the blades are functioning flawlessly...
Cindy
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:45:26a, Cindy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Blades that are out of balance will make the whole fan wobble. The blades are obviously firmly attached to their mounts, so they are not wobbling independently? Is this what you mean?
It would seem impossible, since the blades are attached to the motor, that they are not wobbling along with the rest of the fan (as one unified assembly).
--
Wayne Boatwright **

Yes, that's exactly what I meant!
Thanks,
Cin
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only

Exactly. And it only makes noise when the fan is on medium or high. It's quiet when running on low...
Thanks,
Cin
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only

The blades are out of balance. Try taping a washer & screw in various places until it balances, then screw the washer there. Trial & error. It's faster if you can mount the fan with axis horizontal (NO power!), the tighter blade will stop on the up side.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick, I'll give it a try tomorrow!
Cin
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only

Do the washer and screw routine using tape during the trial period. The horizontal routine works only for static imbalance, unequal weight of the blades. If a blade has a slightly different pitch it will also cause wobble which will not be revealed by the horizontal, power off, routine. And blade pitch is a common problem. That is why the instructions that come with the fans provide and recommend something similar to the washer routine.
SJF