Wives don't understand home repair.

Yes, they are.

No, they are not. Perhaps 90% of the population with which you associate, but, as I said, people self select.
Heather Mills wrote:

Nope, sorry. Saying that a woman's place is in the home is sexist, saying that women generally don't understand construction is not.

You go get a pool of 1,000 randomly selected women and see how many in that pool understand construction. When you find the answer is -zero- expand your pool to 10,000 and perhaps you'll find one or two. Do the same for any other common generalization and you will find similar truth.

These days, you could randomly select 1,000 males and see how many understand construction, you may find more than with women but you also may find very few. The same with car repairs. Those who have never done construction nor auto mechanics will have no concept of what it entails, no matter their sex. Women often base their decisions on visual appeal -- e.g.. makeup, house decorating, color of a car, clothing while men often ignore these things and look behind the facade. The problem with these "often do's" is that it fails to apply to everyone, we are all a mix of emotion, logic and reason and what we think applies to one may not apply to another.
My wife understands construction because I taught her about it, now she enjoys participating in all parts of it, even to mixing concrete and helping in the pour, but now because she has health issues and little physical strength, she will now work mainly on planning and support.

Good for you guys! ^L^

Perhaps, but the number of males who "understand construction" (as opposed to say they do) would also be very low.

Oren, are you single?
Steve <wink>

If there is a difference, I think males know less, because so much, or most, or all of what they think they know about "construction" is wrong.
Women seem to not be so adverse to uttering the phrase "I don't know". -----
- gpsman

I would offer to open the door for you but I can tell that you are the type who would be offended by that.
That would be the same type who does not recognize a joke when they see because the chip on their shoulder is blocking their view of the world.
Colbyt

Or, because Usenet is lousy at transmitting subtext and body language.
Cindy Hamilton

I realize this is completely anecdotal and a sample size of one, but I have come to realize that my ex absorbed pretty much none of the things that I tried to teach her about home repair/maintenance while we were together. So *some* females just don't have the right mindset (although they may be quite capable in other fields.)
On the flip side, I can think of several female EC PM's that I have worked with and other than voice pitch and other physical differences really didn't notice anything different from the male ones that I'm used to.
nate

You can have her. I prefer my wimmins intelligent and articulate, thanks. Preferably with a little mechanical aptitude and outdoorsiness, but still.
nate

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi is more your style.
On 12/23/2010 10:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Nope, that wasn't a *political* statement. Palin's idiocy, illiteracy, and ignorance just grates on me however.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Liar. It *was* a political statement (as was mine).
On 12/24/2010 12:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I realize that you may find this hard to believe, but it really wasn't a political statement. I just can't stand her. Listening to her speak is like being forced to listen to Justin Bieber on endless repeat. How anyone could find that admirable escapes me.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Palin reminds me of the parents you never see in the Charlie Brown movies. Just the wah-wah-wah sound. Very borning and annoying. Also, she's a bad actor. She's trying to act a certain way in public. It's just not real. I don't know about her TV show. I've never watched it.

Because, politically, you hate what (you think) she stands for. That *is* a political statement.
On 12/25/2010 06:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

No, I don't. In fact, *politically* I may have more in common with her than you think. She's just a mouthbreathing idiot, and I find that grating at best.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Then you're just clueless.
On 12/25/2010 08:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You're going to argue that she's actually intelligent and articulate then? I don't think in that case that we have anything more to discuss,
nate