Witching underground lines

I have used bent wires held loosely in my hands to find buried lines. I've done it many many times. I'd do it on a bet any day any where.

There seems to be some here who don't believe it can be done, probably just because they haven't seen it first hand.

Has anyone here ever seen someone locate a line with bent wires? Or other witching techniques?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you actually believe you can do anything besides random chance with those bent rods you should go here..

and take the challenge and make an easy million dollars.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It must be tough to be you. Your reading comprehension sucks bigtime.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

see:

buffalobill

I've done it.

As I said before, we own a very up to date electronic locator and radioactive? beacon. When and if it gives mixed or questionable readings, I get out the wires. I'm not sure I believe in it myself, but when the wires cross and we dig we usually do find the line.

Doubt away! It sure doesn't cost a dime to try it. Try it on your own water line or UGE, the worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work.

Reply to
DanG

I have seen it done. It's not Voodoo. As long as the user knows what they are doing and there is a current in that line, it will work. Frankly I thought the supervisor from the gas company was crazy when he brought out the two bent welding rods. I had a gas leak and they could not find the curb shut off. (big leak) The first tech to show up was a nice young man, but he could not find it. The supervisor, an older guy like me got his electronic box out, but the battery was dead, so he got the rods. He was able to pick up the magnetic current acting on the rods and follow the line (they put a line with a low current through it with the plastic gas lines around here.) In any case he walked down the line and found the buried shut off. He explained it all to me after the younger guy left. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've seen it done and I've done it myself.

It is all in the person.

They either have the ability or they don't.

It can't be learned.

Reply to
greg6755

sigh ............

another reading comprehension impaired contestant ............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I do it. I don't trust it. I have witched both new wells, existing water lines, septic tank drain fields. I tell them that I don't trust it and they will have to dig to tell if I am accurate. Almost everything was in the only logical place for it or had other obvious indicators. Without knowing _where_ another witcher had indicated for drilling a new well, I ran the rods and marked the same spot. I also traced a water line from a community well to an old school house for

1/4 mile. Only problem was when we dug on the school house end, the water line came in 180 degrees away from where the rods said and digging a cross trench where the rods said the line was turned up zip.

There have been no successful finds under controlled, scientific conditions. Randi's offer is still unclaimed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Um...someone's reading comprehension is impaired because you bring up a topic and they present a link to the Wikipedia article on this very same topic? How does an appropriate link suggest a comprehension problem?

It doesn't speak highly of your position if all you can muster is name calling. Obviously it means you are unable to provide us with any facts. At least the others are providing some interesting anecdotes, whether scientifically defensible or not. It beats name calling.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Fine -- go claim Jim Randi's prize.

Doug Miller

Fine -- go claim Jim Randi's prize.

Doug Miller

Thanks. That needed to be said and one more entry from him on the same line would have drawn a much harsher reply from me.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No, but I have seen the results of crop circles.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm trying to understand this. If you have a gas leak, do you really want to inject an electrical current down the gas line and why would a bended wire be necessary as oppose to a straight wire?

The gas line is something like 5' below ground and the wire is something like 3' above ground giving you a distance of something 8' between the gas line and the wire. The current along the pipe is small, assuming in the milliamp range, and electric gradient is even much smaller and may not be able to be measured by instruments. You walk along the path at a slow speed and try to interrupt the electric gradient and this current induced is even much smaller than the electric gradient from the pipe. Looks to me that this induced current from the bended wire is so small, if any, that ESP is more applicable than physics. And how would you distinguish, electrically that is, the leaking valve form any part of the pipe? If someone is this sensitive to electric gradients I would think he would go crazy when he/she is near a TV, microwave and how would you give MRI or EKG to this person?

Reply to
Jack

replying to Steve B, Witcher wrote: Yes. Witch my underground temporary power line today.

Reply to
Witcher