Wiss M3 shears

With the yellow rubber handle.

Had 'em for 15-20 years. Mighta averaged 10 min. lite-duty use per year.

Tried to cut some plumbers strap-tape the other day, the 2 blades separated, wouldn't cut.

Tried tightening the bolt: no hep'.

Blades are not sharp, but they're not incredably dull either.

Should I go after the blades with a whetstone or what?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

So now they won't cut the tape, or they won't cut other things either?

There are things it won't cut, but if it cuts the stuff it used to, it's fine.

The jaws are never very sharp iirc.

Reply to
mm

A file works fine. Don't sharpen the edges that touch, just the beveled faces.

RicodJour

Several years ago I found a pair with a broken blade in the garbage on a job site. I called up the company to find out about buying replacement blades and they sent them for free. I think Cooper Tools makes the Wiss brand.

Reply to
John Grabowski

To check how sharp they actually are, try cutting a page of a newspaper. They should give a nice clean cut. If not, it's time for a new set of Wiss.

Reply to
Aardvark

I managed to get a jeweler's file to work OK.

Thanks, P