Wish me luck

Good point, this was at a fairly remote location.. And a standard non-handicapped porta-john is supposed to be good for 200 "uses",

Reply to
Goedjn

Good points. Hot day? I can't remember the last time. 15000 people? never.

But there weren't 15000 people at the Y either, only about 50 or 60 and most used the flush toilets (the new Joe.)

I wish I could live my life a second time, even very quickly, just to check thiese things out. But I guess I can't.

But I do try. Back to my home town and to the YMCA to find out where the camp was. The guy at the front desk knew. It was sold to an arts camp iirc a couple decades ago, and to a private party a decade ago. I was 9 the last time I'd been there, so I didn't remember the route. but he knew I checked it out. The river had moved closer to the camp and so the obstacle course (my favorite part) was on the other side of the river. A couple cabins were torn down, the old Joe was buried, and the new Joe didn't seem the same either.

I don't know why the Y didn't need a camp anymore. Either it needed one and couldn't afford it, or the kids went farther away to fancier camps, or there were no kids because Western Pa. is losing young parents. My grammar school is leased to an outside organization. But that might not represent the whole town. When the old people who live there (my parents generation and a bit younger) die or go to Florida, I think young people will buy those houses and the school will reopen. I'll go back in another 10 years and check it out.

Because the town is not growing, no one moves. My n'hood is just as nice as it used to be -- the whole town has barely changed in 40 years

--, but the corner grocery and the toy store are both medical supply stores. Of course when they die, they'll have to move.

mm

Bob,

Thresholds are easy to remove and raise.

For the toilet flange, what I ended up doing was cutting ceramic tile in the shape slightly smaller than the base of the toilet and attaching it with silicone caulk to the base of the toilet. Not the best but it works. Only downside is it is hard to get an attractive bead of caulk.

Take a look at this site. They have a great forum for tiling.

noname87

since it took me 6 months to build the house, it would have been a small fortune for the mandatory portapotty for the workmen at 200/week. the servicing was done weekly. the company doing the servicing was pretty local and in a hot (figuratively and literally, being just north of phoenix in the summertime) realestate market with lots of other building going on in the neighborhood.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I did a similar remodel many years ago in a house with one bathroom. It took about two weeks and I had to reset the toilet everytime someone wanted to use it. You get quite proficient after awhile.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Put in another bathroom in a nearby closet first...

Reply to
Goedjn