Wish List: A riding Lawnmower-Snow Thrower?

I just visited the hardware store and had a good look at a 15.5 HP riding lawnmower, with side by side cutter blades under the chassis center. CDN $1700. Pretty ordinary though stylish.

What I'd like to ask is whether anyone or manufacturer had made a snowthrower attachment for a riding lawnmower. I am quite handy myself and I have a welder friend who has all the equipment to make such an animal from regular snowthrower parts if necessary. But what are the possible objections and design difficulties before we start to research the project?

I need the lawn mower less than I need the riding snow thrower - my age and a large area , public sidewalk and driveway, to keep clear of snow.

Reply to
KLM

Unless you buy a lawn tractor designed for a snow thrower type attachments, you will likely regret jerry-rigging a blower onto it because the chassis and pulley systems just are not designed to withstand the weight, pressures, and torques that will be place upon it. A cdn1700 tractor just ain't gonna do it; there's not enough material to work with there. Just go buy one with a snowblower attachmen t and get it over with? That's what I'd recommend,k anhyway. Sears carries them amongst many otherplaces.

HTH Pop

15.5 HP

the chassis

made a

handy

equipment to make

necessary. But

before we

thrower - my

keep clear of

Reply to
Pop Rivet

John Deer expensive, but worth it. Actualy it is really a small tractor with PTO

Reply to
m Ransley

A riding mower is a pretty light duty tool A lawn tractor is a whole different type of tool inn that they usually have some sort of PTO for attahcments a tiller mower snowblower etc...

You could fashion a plow blade but then you will run into traction problems!

That said you don't mention your age but a high horsepower snowblower will clear a pretty good size area! We had a heavy wet storm last winter here in Denver and I was able to do my driveway with no problem.

I then did 4 other driveways and my street. this was very heavy wet snow and My snowblower is not that expensive it is a Ryobi 10 HP 28" wide. You can get headlights and canopies for them too!

Pictures here!

and after plowing

It was pretty warm and the snow was very heavy but I was always able to throw it a good distance!

Reply to
wayne

I know a snow-thrower was made for a John Deere 212 series lawn tractor. The drive for it was on the right hand side for a vertical pully, which may be a problem if your project mower has a vertical shaft engine. That may require a 1:1 right angle gearbox or some other creative engineering. Check Ebay, I just saw one on there not long ago.

Reply to
Joe