Wiring Question - three wires, two hot.

Page 2 of 2

OK, but I believe the OP was moving a split-circuit receptacle. I would assume that this requires meeting the new code requirements.
Cheers, Wayne
Not wanting to engage in this debate because its over my head.
But, I can add:
I was moving a receptacle.
The wiring in the fuse box is "split" on two 15amp fuses red on left fuse, black on the right.
Louis

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:40:08 -0500, "Louis McEniry"

moving meaing you installed it in a new location. So it was a new receptacle?

thanks,
tom
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:28:23 GMT, Wayne Whitney

I think you are right about meeting current codes. If you do repair or installion of equipment, unless the code allows for certain existing conditions, i believe you need to do work to today's requirements.

later,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Curious, do you have a section? I understand you might be referencing Canada's regs, so I just want to know the basis.
I mean, a whole house's disconnect can be six seperate breakers, so why a receptacle is required to be one?
Thank you for your help,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:42:13 GMT, Wayne Whitney

No, it's not a 240v circuit. It's just two 120v circuit feeding the small appliance circuit. To save wire, some people run 12/3 rather than two 12/2's.

imho,
tom @ www.URLBee.com
Yes, I think that is the most likely answer.
Thanks again to all for your help.
Louis

Electricity is not something to dabble with.
Aw, I disagree. It's got:
Intrigue (how the hell do I do this) Drama (did I do it right) Action (I'm doing it) Suspense (will it work) Fear (where is the smoke coming from) Comedy (ZAP! uh, guess I should have turned off the breaker) I think electricity is the most dabblistic of em all.
Thanks Matt...
I agree..its fun.
So long as you know enough to wire according to code and be super careful.