Wiring Question Concerning EMT Conduit Usage

Hello:
Regarding the use of EMT tubing in a residence. Tried to find the answer to the following but couldn't.
Although it probably a lot harder to thread, was wondering if it Is code permissible to run NM wire in EMT tubing, or must one use individual wires (individual black, white, and a green Ground) ?
Is THW still the primary choice for residential usage in EMT tubing ? Or,... ?
Thanks, B.
I don't know if it's permitted, but I'm curious why you would want to try it when there is a standard, easy to find, easy to use, inexpensive alternative.
Greg Guarino
Hello:
Thanks for reply.
Regarding "there is a standard, easy to find, easy to use, inexpensive alternative"
This would be (specifically) what, please ?
Thanks, Bob -------------

You can use the Grey PVC (rigid non-metalic conduit) or blue "smurf tub" (electrical non-metalic tubing)
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:27:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com(Greg) wrote:

Ah ent, gotta love that stuff, very pretty.
I plan using ent to protect wires from the back of a lighted-medicine cabinet, and the wall box. It's only 4" jump, so I felt safe to use it.
as for conduit, I believe the OP asked about cheaper, is ent or rnc cheaper than emt?
later,
tom
When you factor in the price of a bender that he may only use once the plastic is a lot cheaper. You also won't end up with a few sticks of EMT that is bent wrong during the learning process. RNC and ENT connectors are cheaper than EMT.
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:08:06 -0500, The Real Tom <Tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com> wrote:

I don't mean to argue; I've had no experience with plastic conduit. But I think that negotiating the learning curve (play on words intended) of bender usage has been worth my time. I mostly get it right now, but I have made some wasted pieces in the past. It didn't take that long to learn, either. My total experience probably adds up to a hundred or so bends.
The main advantage to using a bender is the ease of pulling wire through the resultant conduit path. Whatever extra time I've spent bending the conduit has been more than offset by the time SAVED not having to open up every #$%! elbow to get the wires through. That goes triple for pulling MORE wires through the same conduit at a later date.
Greg G.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. I use THHN/THWN in EMT. It's single conductor wire available in many sizes and colors. You can put together whatever combination you need and pull it through the conduit pretty easily. In fact, if you've used a bender, as opposed to elbow fittings, you should be able to PUSH a group of wires through a fair length of EMT without using a snake.
Greg Guarino
You don't thread emt, you use fittings. If you want to run cable inside of tubing its ok as long as the tubing is electrically continuous and if it's used in a wet location, the cable inside it must be rated accordingly

By 'threading' you mean, pulling cable through the pipe, correct?
Anywhoo - I know that we used to pull NM cable through emt and never had any inspections fail; but it was a short distance (from washing machine outlet to top of foundation, in a basement).
THW would be fine.
You can use EMT to sleeve NM for physical protection. Just be sure to use a bushing on the ends. The standard single conductor these days is THHN/THWN (dual rated). This is a wet location wire rated for 90c. TW is only 60c. You still see TW "well conductors" but that is about the only place I see it.