Wiring Question

I'm doing the wiring for an addition to my house, and I was wonderign if it's considered kosher to run two wires through the same hole in a framing member. Trying to avoid weakening my framing any more than necessary with lots of holes!

Thanks!

Kemmotar

Reply to
Johnathan George

You don't want to run cable tele or phone wiring with electrical, but otherwise it is fine. I am assuming it is wood; some wires shouldn't be run through metal together (the net flow has to be zero through a metal hole)

Reply to
Toller

Not familiar with your neck of the woods. Here, 2-2 wire romexes are ok, Only 1-3 wire romex to a hole. Not in the code just what is accepted practice. I remember that you can drill out center 20% -30% of studs with out suffering. But that is only a memory

Reply to
SQLit

Why? A 3wire and a 2wire seem more benign in the same hole than in separate holes.

Reply to
Toller

According to Toller :

He said "practice". It's probably more a consequence of how many 3wire vs

2wire circuits are being run and what they're used for.

If the only 3wire you see is stoves and dryers, you can be forgiven for thinking that 2wire is never combined with 3.

As long as the hole is of suitable size for the combination and you're not compromising the structural strength, there's no particular restriction.

I myself prefer to only run two cables per hole. That's because I only use one drill size ;-), and 7/8" is perfectly fine for two (2 or 3 wire).

Reply to
Chris Lewis

It is in the code, sort of. The issue is not the holes, but the fact that the code requires non-metallic cable run in bundles for over 24 inches to be derated. If you have a series of holes and run the same wires through each, they would appear to be bundled. 310.15(B)(2) requires derating to 80% for

4 to 6 current carrying conductors, 70% for 7 to 9, etc.
Reply to
Paul A

Does code allow for running power wires behind crown molding? Do I need to run the wires in conduit? Thanks.

Philip

Reply to
Philip

Only if it's per code. eg inside conduit, armor, etc.. Check your local code enforcement officer for codes. Never can the wires themselves - no - don't do it - stick to code so your home insurance will protect you. Whether you -have- to use conduit or not can only be answered by knowing your particular code - make the phone call - you'll be glad you did.

Pop

molding? Do I

Reply to
Pop Rivet

What kind of wiring did you have in mind? Speaker, phone, or cat5 would be fine because they are all low voltage.

Line voltage, if your running romex, or armored, I would say yes as long as the wire was protected from nails. Example your using 6" crown in a room. Position the wire in the center of the crown molding were there will never be any nails or screws I would think would be ok. I have run romex or armored behind cabinets, and under cabinets and had it inspected no worries.

Check with the local guys just be sure and safe

Reply to
SQLit

Check codes, probably best practice anyway. Given that situation I'd use Wiremold because it is quite compact. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I was planning on using line voltage (120V) 14 awg romex or if needed

14 awg armored cable.
Reply to
Philip

- Philip -.

- Nehmo - The romex is fine. The connections need to be in boxes or fixtures that form boxs. You don't need to check any code either. I don't even know where you are, but I can assuure you there is no restriction on placing a piece of moulding over some romex. Those people who recommended checking the code live at home and haven't lost their virginity yet.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

I've read more than a couple of home wiring guides, and *ALL* say it's OK to hide a piece of Romex behind a baseboard or molding. Of course you need to use common sense and watch your nailing, but why should anybody believe you don't understand that part!?

LMELAO!!!

WOOOOHOOOO! YESSSSSS! Post of the week!

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz