wiring question

I am adding some shop lights over my workbench, and wish to replace a common 2 receptacle outlet with a combination outlet, switch. The switch would control the light, the outlet avialable for a power strip for hand tools. The existing outlets are all on one circuit, run in sequence, and they are GFI.
I tried to wire it but it does not work - neither the switch nor the outlet. I have run the two black wires (incoming/ougoing) to a terminal on one side. The two white wires to a terminal on the other side. The ground to the ground. The electical cable coming from the shop light is then wired to the black/white posts on the lower part where the switch is located.
I get nothing. Any suggestions, wiring diagrams you can refer me to?
On 20 Jan 2004, C Carruth wrote:

There's a chance that the only problem is the misplaced white wire, but just in case, from step 1:
On one side of the switch/outlet the two screws should be the same color and you should see a little removeable tab between them in the flat portion underneath the screws. That's your hot side. *don't* break out the tab, attach your incoming and outgoing black wires to those 2 screws (doesn't matter w/w).
The screw on the outlet half (it should be on the longer blade side of the outlet) gets a white pigtail to *all* of the existing white wires, including the one from the light fixture. The last remaining screw is your switched hot, that gets the black from the light fixture.
Be careful, make sure you know which screws are which before you re-do it.
Bk (-|==: |==|-) Whites (OUTLET) (existing) | o HALF | (existing) | Bk (-|===/ ==|-) Bk Fixture (SWITCH) HALF
http://www.homewiringandmore.com/switchoutlet/index.html Tony D.