wiring question

Hello, I posted a message about a husky air compressor. The compressor was running for about 5 minutes and I noticed the wiring was a little warm (room temp. + 10-15 degrees). I'm curious if 12 gauge solid is enough for a 25ft run of 220V. The compressor draws 15amps. Is this OK?
The run of wire is not continuous. It comes out of the panel into a box, where it's spliced to the runway. At the end of the runway, the compressor splices into the box.
At what wire temperature should I be concerned?
Thanks in advance.
Mike
diesel_mike snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) writes:

Your wiring is fine for 15 amps, but your setup is not optimal. Have you thought about switching the motor to 240 volt operation? Then it would only draw 7.5 amps. The motor would start easier, run cooler and last longer. All it would cost you is a 20 amp double pole breaker, 25 feet of 12 gauge wire and a 240 volt NEMA (6-20R) plug and receptacle set. You could go with a 15 amp circuit, but there is no point, since the expense is essentially the same.
I try to run all my induction motors at 240 volts, but certainly anything 1 hp or larger, or that starts and stops frequently, like a well pump or compressor.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Read the fella's posts. The motor is already wired and connected to 220 V. Here though, 3/4 HP or less are wired for 110V, for convenience to plug into existing 110V outlets. All heavier motors are wired for 220V.
snipped-for-privacy@hurontel.on.ca (Gary Tait) writes:

Oops. Missed that part. And I suppose his power company would object to 480v. service in a residence. Oh, well.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

(Gary Tait) writes:

Naw, they do it all the time! Just call'em up and ask for the special residential 3 phase power. <BSEG>
Op
(Gary Tait) writes:

Oh sure, they can give me 3 phase power, but it's a substantial cost! It's cheaper to run a phase converter. Besides, I don't need 3 phase; this is a relatively small load for 220V.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Mike
(Mike) writes:

Larry, the compressor is wired for 240V, 15 amps.