wiring problem/question

I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). I did this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. These were stranded wires. The black one connected to a solid black wire. The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted together. After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and the wall sockets on the room next to it. I can live without the light in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. It seems to me that what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. Does this make any sense? And is there anything I can do to get the wall sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie wrote:

Ensure that the two solid wires are securely connected together.
Jud McCranie wrote:

did you reconnect the two solid neutrals back together?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I didn't disconnect the two white solids that were twisted together (if I remember correctly).
--
Replace you know what by j to email

reconnect everything back tiogether the way it was originally and see if the outlets work.
On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:06:25 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I did that, an no they don't. I suspected a ground-fault switch, but every one I could find was OK.
Note: I was a little wrong about the connections - the black stranded wire from the fans were connected to a black stranded wire going to the pot in the thermostat box, not to a solid black wire.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:10:48 -0400, Jud McCranie

BTW, some of the things on that main circuit breaker work and some don't.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:10:48 -0400, Jud McCranie

Whoops, I found a different main breaker that was off that controlled what wasn't working.
So now I'm not sure which of the two breakers controls the fans (perhaps one for each).
I have an AC/DC meter, but I don't know how to test for AC with it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:45:13 -0400, Jud McCranie

I switched off both breakers and I'm not messing with it again until I can get a clamp meter to see what is going on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.
rangerssuck wrote:

Gee, electrocution seems like a pretty stiff penalty for doing un-certifed work on your home wiring.
oh ...
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 08:56:11 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

Yea, I generally don't mess with A/C wiring, but I'm disconnecting the fans until I can get an electrician.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie wrote:

Why are you doing this?
A disconnected wire must be properly secured - it could still be hot under some circumstances!
p.s. "AC" means alternating current "A/C" means air conditioning (in some circles)
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:33:41 -0400, RickMerrill
The attic fans quit working and I was advised on another thread to disconnect them.

I did that.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Just kill the main breaker to the house that shuts off the whole house.. Cut the wires going to the fans near the fans and put wire nuts on them. Turn rthe breaker back on and wait for the electrician. You ever see Dick Williams?, I wondered if he was still involved in tournament chess. I hear Clyde Wayne is a lawyer.
Jimmie
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:40:56 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
Not since 1985. I see George frequently since his kids play in the tournaments down here.

Not as far as I know, I doubt it. Their mother had a bad car accident about a month or so ago. I see John at the tournaments too.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:43:00 -0400, Jud McCranie

Sounds like you disconnected the wrong white wire or do not have a tight connection. After setting a wire nut, tug on each wire. Always turn off the circuit before taking off an electrical wall plate.