Wiring overkill?

A second RG-6 cable. One for cable and one for the roof antenna which feeds the HDTV (I hate paying extra to the cable company for HDTV when I get more stations off the air) (My TV also has inputs for each)

I found that putting 4 plugs (2 duplex) in the J box behind where I expected to put the TV also payed off by eliminating the need for a power strip.

The cat-5 is unnessary if you plan to use WiFi (though that will not give you the fastest speeds). Wired is cheaper and more reliable in the long run.

Reply to
PipeDown

Proposed TIA Category 7 / ISO Class F requirements are being developed for fully shielded (i.e., overall shield and individually shielded pairs) twisted-pair cabling. Category 7 / class F will most likely be supported by an entirely new interface design (i.e. plug and socket).

Some vendors are marketing forms of Category 7 wire. The Cat 7 standard is barely in its infancy, but it's expected to end up as either 600-MHz or

700-MHz UTP when and if it reaches completion.

No standards have been set for this format.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

smurf tube.. at least 1". big enough for a couple rg-6 and several cat5e. minimum of 2 cat5e, 1 4pair tel (could be cat5), 1 rg6 per room.

2 phone jacks, 2 net jacks, 1 coax per location. could be multiple locations per room.

good to add: additonal rg-6, audio/video/speaker (audio/video could be another cat5 with baluns.) burglar alarm to all windows.

split circuits. 2 20a circuits split between the two rooms, plus a extra circuit for overhead lights (if any). quad outlets at desk/tv/bedside.

3way switches for lights/switched outlets. switched outlet for bedside lamp(s).

smoke detectors - hardwired and interconnected. CO detectors. doorbell - two tone.. one wired to door, one wired to kitchen. klaxon/PA system- wired to kitchen.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

A router in the garage (16,24 port or larger) is a great idea, but putting multiple Cat 6 ports in a room is EXPENSIVE. Yes we need at least 8 ports in the wiring center, perhaps more as more and more home entertainment devices come with Ethernet management and reporting capabilities. Otherwise, one or two ports per room is hte max with 4 port routers added as needs dictate later on.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

make certain any basement bedroom has a entrance egress widow so you could get out in a fire.

conduit run between areas is awesome

run catergory 5e cable it has lots of twisted pairs for phone applications

Use RG6 for cable its lower loss than the cheaper RG59 and can be used for satellite tv too

Reply to
hallerb

My wife said you should run some 220v, a little water, and a dryer vent. Then tell the kids they can do their own landry while they're down cellar.

Don't know if it'll work, but if it did, it would be worth it .......

Reply to
Pat