Wiring overkill?

Page 2 of 2
make certain any basement bedroom has a entrance egress widow so you could get out in a fire.
conduit run between areas is awesome
run catergory 5e cable it has lots of twisted pairs for phone applications
Use RG6 for cable its lower loss than the cheaper RG59 and can be used for satellite tv too

Burglar alarm wires at the windows?
Speaker wires for when they're (grown and?) gone and you want to play the same music throughout the house?
Video and 2 audio cables (L and R) for when they're gone and you want to play the same DVD throughout the house? You can use the RF cable for that, but for some reason there are times I wish I had A and V cables. One reason is that the selection box I got at Radio Shack works with 2A and V, but not cable.
Should be one doorbell in the basement for when the only person home is in the basement, and he wants to be able to hear the doorbell. I finally have bells or buzzers on all three floors and now I don't miss visitors or delivery men just because I have the radio on.
If you do everything everyone suggests, their rooms will be better than my whole house put together, but as long as the walls are open......
mgarvie wrote:

circuits in each room. When they get all their stuff in there and turned on at the same time they aren't as likely to overload a single circuit. Also, it makes it a whole lot easier if you have to work on an outlet and still have power in another outlet in the same room.
Bill Gill

A second RG-6 cable. One for cable and one for the roof antenna which feeds the HDTV (I hate paying extra to the cable company for HDTV when I get more stations off the air) (My TV also has inputs for each)
I found that putting 4 plugs (2 duplex) in the J box behind where I expected to put the TV also payed off by eliminating the need for a power strip.
The cat-5 is unnessary if you plan to use WiFi (though that will not give you the fastest speeds). Wired is cheaper and more reliable in the long run.
smurf tube.. at least 1". big enough for a couple rg-6 and several cat5e. minimum of 2 cat5e, 1 4pair tel (could be cat5), 1 rg6 per room. 2 phone jacks, 2 net jacks, 1 coax per location. could be multiple locations per room.
good to add: additonal rg-6, audio/video/speaker (audio/video could be another cat5 with baluns.) burglar alarm to all windows.
split circuits. 2 20a circuits split between the two rooms, plus a extra circuit for overhead lights (if any). quad outlets at desk/tv/bedside. 3way switches for lights/switched outlets. switched outlet for bedside lamp(s).
smoke detectors - hardwired and interconnected. CO detectors. doorbell - two tone.. one wired to door, one wired to kitchen. klaxon/PA system- wired to kitchen.
Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
My wife said you should run some 220v, a little water, and a dryer vent. Then tell the kids they can do their own landry while they're down cellar.
Don't know if it'll work, but if it did, it would be worth it .......