Wiring new oven to old electrical

Hi there- I have a new oven I plan on hard wiring to existing three wire 240 amp outlet. The new wiring has four wires and wiring instructions give several options for wiring:
B. CONNECTING THE GREEN APPLIANCE WIRE TO THE NUETRAL(WHITE)SUPPLY WIRE-WHERE LOCAL CODES PERMIT
1. Connect the green and white appliance wires to the nuetral(white)supply wire in the junction box.
2. Connect the black appliance wire to the black(l1) power supply wire in the junction box.
3. Connect the red appliance wire to the red(l2) power supply wire in the junction box.
OR
C. CONNECTING THE GREEN APPLIANCE WIRE TO A GROUNDED SUPPLY WIRE OR A GROUNDED COLD WATER PIPE-WHERE LOCAL CODES PERMIT.
1. seperate the green and white appliance wires
2. Connect the white appliance wire to the neutral(white)supply wire in the junction box.
3. Connect the black appliance wire to the black(l1) supply wire in the junction box.
4. Connect the red appliance wire to the red(l2) supply wire in the junction box.
5. Connect the green appliance wire to a grounded supply wire in the junction box or to a grounded cold water pipe.
6. If connecting to a grounded cold water pipe , a seperate copper grounding wire(No. 10 min.) must be connected to a grounded cold water pipe by means of a clamp and then to an external grounding connector screw.
My question is the outlet has only red, black and white wires(three wire). Is it safe to use step b for hard wiring regardless of local code? Any help would be appreciated.

Add a green wire and you'll be set. Green goes to the frame of the oven.
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Don Fearn wrote:

Did she really say that? To Richard?
I can't imagine why.
Ring, ring. "Hello..." "Hello, is this Dr Feynman?" "Yes..." "Dr Richard P. Feynman?" "Yes..." "Dr Feynman, my name is Joe Smith. I am the United States Ambassador to the court of King Gustav V of Norway. It is my distinct pleasure to inform you that you have just won the 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics." "Do you know what the hell time it is in California?" "....er, no..." "It is 3:00 o'clock in the goddamn morning. Call me back after nine!" click

She did. Read:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
-Don
Yes, the NEC allows you to do that for an existing range feeder. Any new installation would require a four wire feeder

I would ADD a green ground wire for safetys sake!
JackWalla wrote:

I would add a green wire back to the panel. Yea, it would be a pain. Yea, it would be safer.
BTW I hope that is a 240 volt outlet not a 240 amp outlet.
If you have not already done it, I suggest you make sure the amps required by the new equipment do not exceed the breaker or wire size.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit