Wiring inside pipe needs jacket?

I am dropping some wiring from my ceiling into my furnace. There is a pipe on the furnace I would like to use but I dont think the current wire will fit inside with the jacket on. Is it proper to strip the jacket off the wiring and run just the 3 insulated wires while inside the pipe?

Thanks!

dnoyeB

Reply to
dnoyeB

Grumble grumble grumble....I don't like that idea. Vibration, abrasion, cracked insulation, arcing....same thing that brings down passenger jets sometimes.

- Which wiring is this? 120 volts for the fan, or the wires to the thermostat?

- This pipe - is it the pipe that's INTENDED for routing the 120 volt line? Or, what?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was wondering because running another pipe is going to take a bit of trickery but it can be done. I just don't think I can fit a 2nd line in that pipe without taking the jacket off..

120V for a booster fan.

This is the pipe with the switch on it. So its the furnace power. Which is 120V. The thermostat line does not run in a pipe.

I simply am looking for a way to protect the line as I drop it from the ceiling. Without jumping through too many hoops. But Ill do whatever I need to be safe.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I'm not sure what "the code" says about this. I can only tell you that I'd probably blow a whole weekend installing another pipe, or replacing the existing one with a size that'll accept all the wires.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know what the code says either, but the power for my oil furnace comes down from the ceiling as romex, no pipe at all. The thermostat line is tied to it with a couple short scrap pieces of

1-conductor insulated 16? gauge electric wire. I get close to the wires when I get my laundry out of the box below the chute, but I've never actually touched it without intending to in 24 years. The furnace is in the corner and the wire is near the wall at the right side of the furnace and just left of my work bench.

I'd be surprised if the original electrician violated code. He was licensed and still is, and his company did all 109 houses.

Reply to
mm

Mine's the same way, and it was like that in the previous house.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If the conduit terminates in a junction box, you can get a fitting, such as romex to 1/2" emt connector. Now you can strip the insulation off the part of the cable going inside the conduit and clamp the cable to this fitting

Reply to
RBM

Here is a link to one such fitting:

RBM

There is an idea I had not thought of. Ill just install a bigger pipe. Thanks for the tip.

dnoyeB

Reply to
dnoyeB

fitting:

Great, that will work much better. Thanks!

Reply to
dnoyeB