Wiring in a DSL filter

Page 2 of 2

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jan Philips wrote:

Don't cut the wire. Un-hardwie your phone. Install jack plate for the phone and filter.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Agreed

That is probably more involved than I can do, but it sounds best. I'll have to get someone to do it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:49:29 -0400, Jan Philips

I think I know who can mount a wall jack for me without charging electrician/phone company rates.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

It can be a surface mounted connector. Easier that what you are trying to do in the first place. Much easier if you have to replace anything down the line.

Yes, sometime the phone will need to be replaced.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

Check the phone book or even local large flea market. There are many guys in the biz that charge way less than the phone companies.
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Wiring-in-a-DSL-filter-396094-.htm : Jan Philips wrote:

I doubt it's any different from the standard red/green but nothing prevents you from saving the plug you just cut off and looking at its wires (plug is transparent - everything should be visible). Whatever are the colors of the wires connected to center pins - those are the only ones you should worry about.

It would not be a good idea to not have a modular plug when you use an adapter such as DSL filter on a phone line. It is exactly why the connection is not permanent. What if you need to connect a DSL modem to that outlet? then you'd want to filer out which is a pain if it's hardwired. That said though, if you are certain you are not going to want to filter removed from the outlet, I think the better way would be to use a phone faceplate with filter inside. Basically, the thing replaces the faceplate and the jack with an all-in-one assembly and the one I have laying around in a box of old parts somewhere even has two prongs to hang the phone on if it's a wall-mount location.
------------------------------------- \\//.
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:44:40 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

It is an emergency phone in an elevator so that will never happen.

That is what I want to do but the phone is attached to the wall and there is no apparent way to get it off.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:25:46 -0400, Jan Philips

I've gotten a wall jack with two phone jacks. I'm going to wire that inline and with a 6-inch male-to-male cord and the DSL filter, it should work.
Thanks for all the help!
--
Replace you know what by j to email