Wiring Garage/shop

I think you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if these panels are specially built for places like HD and Lowes. The OP's description sounds perfectly legitimate, yet I've never seen one that came that way, straight out of the box

Reply to
RBM

I verified tonight what the panel said. Left says 'grounding strap", right says "neutral strap". usint a continuity meter, left bank has continuity to the enclosure. Netral strap on the right does not.

Instructions call that little bar to the very left "addition" grounding connections.

By the way, I plan on having 2 240 volt circuits, one for an air compressor one for a lincol welder "buz box". I was going to make the compressor a 30 amp circuit with 20-3 wire and the welder a 50 amp circuit with 6 guage. Does it matter if I have bothe these breakers on the same buss as the 100 amp main breaker or would that be bad practice to have alot of voltage on one bank compred to the other?

Also, do I need to have these outlets a certain distance from the overhead garage door? I would like ot place them as close as I can so I can reach outside with them if I need to,.

I'm assuming that by "on the same buss", you mean opposite sides of the same section of buss. I would tend to avoid doing that, and would set them side by side, and use circuits with lesser loads opposite heavily loaded breakers. You can install the outlets as close to the door as you like. Your 30 amp circuit will probably be on 10/3, 20/3 is doorbell wire

Reply to
RBM

It's probably not a good idea to even consider a three wire feeder. They're outlawed in the new code, and they restrict you from connecting anything conductive between the two buildings.

Reply to
RBM

That is not exactly true in the 2005 and earlier codes. It says "... no continuous metallic paths BONDED TO THE GROUNDING SYSTEM". It would apply to a metallic water piping system, required to be bonded but not to a phone line, LAN or any number of other connections.

Reply to
gfretwell

My phone lines and catv lines are bonded to the grounding system. Why wouldn't they be?

Reply to
RBM

Your phone line may have a surge protector that is connected to the grounding system via gas protectors but it is not bonded to it. If it was you would have an unnerving hum on the line. The only way your CATV is bonded is if you also have a grounding block in the garage. In that case you do have a parallel path.

Reply to
gfretwell