Wiring for UK appliances

I have a dryer originating from the UK with the UK type connector. It is rated for 240 volts/ 60Hz and requires a 15 amp breaker. I have already a standard

220 dryer line and plug installed in my house.

My question is, rather than using an adapter, can I simply open the back of the dryer, replacing the entire cord & plug with the US version, which is available at my hardware store? Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
dynamorph

If it originated from the UK, it will be 50 hz not 60 hz. This can create problems with motors, clock timers and some electronic circuits.

Reply to
EXT

Why? If the wire is rated for 30 A there should be no problem.

Reply to
FDR

Yes, we have electronic equipment that can auto-set its own voltage setting from the power supplied but most AC motors and non-electronic timers are frequency dependant. It pays to check.

Reply to
EXT

Possible and worth checking, but many motors today are 50/60 kHz. In the international community they have to find ways of making thing compatible. We have machines at work that can run on 220/360/460/500, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, so? If the load is less than the breaker it's fine. It's done all the time.

Reply to
FDR