wiring for new dryer

My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think I may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the 220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not real sure why though).
How do you make the conversion from the older style 220 plug to the newer style??

You would need to run a new line that contains four conductors instead of three.
However, they still sell three prong cords for dryers so you may not have to do anything.
If your existing dryer feeder happens to be a four wire cable, you would connect the four wires accordingly : hot-hot-neutral-ground. If it is only three wire, as FDR said, just use a three wire cord on it. The dryer probably doesn't come with a cord so you may want to swap the one from your existing dryer

thanks-i appreciate the suggestions/ideas.
My current electric clothes dryer was installed in early 80's, and I think I may have to get a new one soon. I believe that I will need to convert the 220 outlet to the newer style outlet and purchase a new dryer cord (not real sure why though).
How do you make the conversion from the older style 220 plug to the newer style??
In all liklihood, the existing cable has three wires. There is no way you can make it four wires without running a new cable. If it happens to be four wires it is a simple matter to put a new outlet in. If you have an easy run to the breaker box it is not too difficult to put a new four wire cable in.
If you are stuck with the existing three wire cable, follow the directions that come with the dryer. As someone suggested, you may want to pull the cord off the old dryer instead of buying a new one.
In alt.home.repair on Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:30:11 -0500 "stevie"

In order to use the current outlet. There is no point to doing both of these things at the same time.
Replace the new cord to match the old outlet, or replace the old outlet to match the new cord. If they don't match already.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info