Wiring for LCD TV

Page 1 of 2

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position, Verticle or horizontal ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

*Mount the TV and look in the back to see the best place to locate the outlet as well as the video and audio cables. Sometimes there are templates with the mounts that indicate the best location for the outlet. I usually go vertical.

Depends on which way you want the electricity to come out.
On 8/21/2010 9:26 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Also, if you install it inside out, like a rolled up sock, the plug will disappear into the wall when plugged in. It will take up less space behind the TV. 8-)
TDD

Kidding aside, if space behind the TV is critical, use a clock receptical http://www.levitonsupplies.com/lewhsiclre68.html
On 8/21/2010 10:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

TDD
desgnr wrote:

This was settled about 2,000 years ago when the rabbinc scholars debated the orientation of the mezuzah on the door posts of a Jewish home. Some sages argued for vertical, others for horizontal.
A compromise was finally reached. Mezuzahs are installed at an angle.
On 8/22/2010 6:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I asked one of my Jewish customers if the things kept Jehovah Witnesses away from the door. I haven't seen my Jewish relatives in many years because they live in Yankee land or I would ask them. Will the presence of a Mezuzah repel door to door Christian proselytizers?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Dunno. They used to show up here and I told them the following story:
Written in Roman (instead of Hebrew) characters, the name of God is YHWH (there are no vowels in Hebrew). When reading the Hebrew text aloud in the synagogue, the Jew speaks the word "Adonai" (lord, master) when he encounters YHWH in the sacred text, much like we say "et cetera" when reading "etc." To avoid taking the name of the Lord in vain, the trick is to never say God's name.
About A.D 200, the Masorites, fearing that the new generation was not learning the holy language, invented vowels for Hebrew. These vowels took the form of diacritical marks above and below the Hebrew letters. When it came to the YHWH business, they Masorites used the vowels for Adonai, since that was what everybody was saying.
Martin Luther, in translating the Hebrew and Greek texts into German did not know the YHWH+Adonai trick, so he wrote the word in the German version of the Bible as "Yahowah."
Using the Luther's German translation, English translators turned "Y" into "J" and "W" into "V" yielding "Jehovah."
Bottom line: "Jehovah" is a completely made up word based on several mistakes. Moses wouldn't know what it meant, Jesus wouldn't know what it meant, and it's possible that when a Jehovah's Witness gets to heaven, St Peter will say "Never heard of you."
I think the Witnesses passed the word around to not bother with my house; it's filled with crazy people.
On 8/22/2010 7:16 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I like rabbis, they're cool and have a fatalistic sense of humor. Southern Baptist preachers usually have a stick so far up their tailpipe that the end of it's that bump you think is their Adam's apple. Catholic priests are funny drunks. I can say this because they're all my cousins. I can pick on family. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Second that. One local rabbit wrote a book: "Stories a Rabbi Shouldn't Tell" filled with jokes and stuff. He was the Jewish Chaplin at the Texas Medical Center and part of his job was cheering up patients.
One interesting thing he told me: He has a card file of some 500 names of Jews in the community with foreign language skills he can call on. The Texas Medical Center gets patients from all over the world and it is obviously helpful if they can communicate!
Standard languages are pretty easy, but he was worried that he had only two resources that spoke Coptic! Believe it or not, he had a lot of people in the community that could speak Mandarin, Farsi, or COBOL.
On 8/23/2010 2:37 PM, HeyBub wrote:

People don't understand that part of the culture is similar to that of the Chinese where scholars are revered much like the adulation given athletes in American culture. It's cool to learn and excel at getting an education. I once asked a football freak if a college would hold a press conference announcing the hiring of a Nobel Prize winning math professor at a high salary. He couldn't comprehend the reason or irony of my question. I'm considered an evil heretic here in Alabamastan because I care nothing for football.
TDD
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

Ground pins pointing up.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Good Gawd.

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector told me, it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally inserted plug, the current will be shorted to ground, and not start a fire.
YMMV
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

It's entirely possible the OP has crossed swords hanging above his TV.
Han wrote:

Yes, my mileage does vary. If a knife falls and shorts out the hot to either ground or neutral, the chances of it starting a fire are probably the same. Not to mention that 99.9999% of the time it will trip the breaker, not start a fire.

Hey, I swear that's what the inspector said. And I had to turn around all those outlets I had put into my basement before he approved it. No real biggie, but that's why I remember after >20 years.
--
Best regards
Han

That inspector was pulling a rule out of his ass. I would like to see it in print somewhere.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

You're welcome to look up the code for New York City. As a hobbyist/ homeowner I got the inspector in so I ccould get a certificate of whatever for the insurance company. If the inspector then says jump through this hoop and go wipe you nose, I'll do that rather than arguing with him.
--
Best regards
Han