wiring fan/light combo and 3 way switch

I am wanting to replace an older fan with a new one. Here is the current wire setup....(hopefully my terminology is right)
I have two 3-way light switches, one at top of stairs and one at the bottom. There is a 12-3 w/ ground running between the switches. The switch at the top of the stairs has a 12-2 w/ ground running to the fan location. All of this is powered by a 12-2 w/ ground running to the switch at the bottom.
Can I hook this up somehow to use both switches, and to use a switch(es) that has 2 controls - one for the fan, and one for the light????
this is the switch I want to use.
http://www.prolighting.com/lus2skduslfa.html
thanks- patrick
No, to hard wire it you'd need two sets of three conductor cables between the switches and two circuits from one switch location to the fan light. There are fans made with electronic controls like Casablanca "Intellitouch" which would work. There are also some aftermarket transmitter receiver kits that may work as well

Am I better off to replace the one 3 way switch (that has the dimmer and fan control bult in with a regular 3 way switch and use that to control the light, and either use the pull chain for the fan, or maybe a wireless unit as suggested?
RBM (remove this) wrote:

The combination dimmer/speed control is useless without a three wire cable going from that box to the fan. If you wanted to use a pull chain for the fan, the lights would have to be on first, or there'd be no power at the fan. I would look into electronic devices to do this, or like I mentioned Casablanca makes multiple switch location "Intellitouch" models

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:45:36 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

That depends on how it's wired. I had one fan to convert (previously both light/fan on switch loop, now only light on switch loop). It was easy to do since the way that room was wired, there was already a hot connection in the box over the fan. Now the light switch controls the light only, not the fan.

Mark Lloyd
The OP already stated his feed is in the lower switch box.