Wiring Electrical Outlets With 3-way switch

I am putting lights in my basement and would like a wiring diagram that shows how to connect six electrical outlets that stretch from one end of the basement to the other, with a three-way switch on either end of the circuit. The power comes in to the circuit in the middle of the run. It seems like a simple thing but I keep tripping the breaker.

Reply to
craneranch

You can run 2 conductor w/ ground from the box where the power is to one wall switch. Run 3 conductor w/ground from that switch to the second, and 2 conductor w/ground from the box where the power is to each other lighting outlet. In the originating box, connect the feed neutral to the neutral conductor going to the next box and the neutral of the fixture at that box. conect the feed hot wire to the white wire of the 2 conductor going to the first switch and mark it some other color than white. Connect the black wire going to the first switch to the black wire going to the next box and the black wire of the fixture at that box. Next, in the first switch box, connect the white from the 2 conductor to the black of the 3 conductor. Connect the black of the 2 conductor to the common terminal of the three way switch, and connect the white and red wires of the 3 conductor to the travellers of the three way switch. Next, in the second switch box, connect the black to common terminal and the red and white to the travellers. Last, connect all grounds together and to any metal boxes

Reply to
RBM

Bring the power in to one of the switches or the other. Take 12/3/G to the other switch then take 12/2/G to each light.

You would need a 12/5/G to do it like you are trying to do.

Do they make 12/5?

Reply to
Terry

"RBM" wrote in news:480e8585$0$25025$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

You're overcomplicating things RBM. Check out this Red Green creativity.

Connect all lights in series with 2 conductor pull chain switches. Run string from one location to the other. Tie/tie wrap/duct tape all pull chains to string. Pull string from either end to operate.

Reply to
Red Green

This is the most straight forward way to do it.

Reply to
Terry

This is probably the easiest way to do it, but it should be noted that the feed and return wires can be run to a variety of locations and made to work properly. When you're working with an existing condition, you don't always have the choice to do things the easiest way

Reply to
RBM

ROTFLMAO

But, if I tried that, with my luck the pull switches would get out of sync with each other pretty quickly.

Jeff (Who thinks you shouldn't have written "in series" either.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia