Wiring cable

Page 1 of 2
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2- way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will it work?
Also what kind if splitters are the best?

*It would work, but the more splitters the more potential for lower picture quality. I would try and keep the splitters to a minimum. I recommend doing all home runs to one area and just get one big splitter.

That's how new homes are done. Home runs to a central distribution panel that includes the required splitting.

That's how new homes are done. Home runs to a central distribution panel that includes the required splitting.
Definitely install home runs from each location to a central point. As far as splitters go, I would have the cable company determine this. My cable company will do a signal strength test on each line to determine how much signal is required, then install splitters accordingly.

What does it mean "one area"? I can have one-two many splitter at entrance and run cables to each individual bedroom from that the only splitter. It will require more cable and wiring but I can do this.

What does it mean "one area"? I can have one-two many splitter at entrance and run cables to each individual bedroom from that the only splitter. It will require more cable and wiring but I can do this.
*I mean to one central location close to where your cable TV service now comes into the house. I would not bring them outside. Maybe take one of the existing lines off of the existing two way splitter and use that empty slot to feed all of the new home runs. Refeed the existing cable that was disconnected from the new central location. They make splitters that can handle many cables so don't use a bunch of two-way and three-way's. Use RG6 quad shield cable for your runs for optimum picture quality.
ls02 wrote:

Regarding the Internet wiring....,
In a small office where I work, we wired each room for the Internet and ran each room's Internet cable each back to a central location. In the central location, we have what is called a "patch panel". Each Internet cable home run from each room is connected to a slot on the patch panel. In the same room, we have the incoming cable Internet service modem and a router. Then, to connect the Internet to a specific room, we use a patch cable that goes from the router to the plug-in slot on the patch panel that is connected to that specific room.

The ideal spot for the cable modem and router is at the desk of the main computer. This way you can see in a glance if the network is down.
metspitzer wrote:

Guess mine's not ideal then. LOL! Mine's out in a detached garage. (where the receiver is mounted on the south side) Speedwave RF internet.
John Grabowski posted for all of us...

This is the BEST way fot Tv ask any competent cable guy. Also use a splitter rated for the bandwidth in use. Not the 19 bux special.

Since you are sealing them in walls why not bump up to cat6? for now cat5e is sufficient, bur when it get to be 10gb on networks, the difference will show.

Since you are sealing them in walls why not bump up to cat6? for now cat5e is sufficient, bur when it get to be 10gb on networks, the difference will show.
* I agree that CAT 6 is the way to go for a network. I had assumed he was using the CAT 5e for telephone.
John Grabowski wrote:

Cat 6 is unnecessary, full stop. That said, the incremental cost isn't great, so you may as well use it on the off chance it will some day be desirable.
Eric in North TX wrote:

the cat5 will work just fine. The same way that cat3 does the job just fine right now.
ls02 wrote:

the best way is to run "home runs" to every location from a central point. Do the 'splitting' and mixing at that point.
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:45:02 -0500, Steve Barker

AMEN! My incoming signal hits a 6-way splitter, and then home runs out to the TVs. I have a TV co-located with my internet, and the modem is split out at that point www.hometech.com/video/splitters.html#primer and/or http://svr10.hometech.com/kb/questions.php?questionoidG
starrin wrote:

I read the first link, but I am not sure about one thing.....,
Does the signal loss through a splitter depend on how many devices (TV's, for example) are actually connected to the splitter and drawing a signal? Or, is the signal loss just based on the number of splits in the splitter itself?
For example, if I have a 4-room apartment that I want to pre-wire, does it matter whether I use an 8-way splitter and put two lines in each room or use a 4-way splitter and putting one line in each room?
BetaB4 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port. 8way will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled I'm sure you could find more info on this.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Thanks. I htink that's what the article you provided was saying, but I wasn't sure. I'll do a little Googling and see if I can find out for sure. If it is the way we think it is, I'll probably just put one outlet in each room to avoid needing a main splitter with too many splits.
BetaB4 wrote:

There is a lot more to this then just the splitter loss. You also get loss in the cable per 100 feet. You probably want to use RG-56 Triple shielded for less loss than RG-59. I also believe the loss on a splitter is the loss before anything is hooked to it. It's best to run home runs to each outlet but in your application you might want to run home runs to each unit then split. Like I said you will probably need an amp. where all these home runs come together. You're going to have a lot of loss. Sometimes the cable companies can change the face plate of the tap to gain you more RF or run a hard line into a central location and have the tap right there. Cable outfits will sometimes do this for free depending if they can justify the cost to revenue per unit.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"